Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Angled corners and shaky layers

Posted by jaromir 
Angled corners and shaky layers
February 18, 2014 04:56PM
Hello all.
I built my first reprap - MendelMax 1.5. It works quite nice, however I'm experiencing some print issues.

For now I'm printing just cubes 1x1x1cm and it looks like on picture. There are three major problems, sorted from worst.

1,When looking from Z axis, the corners are angled. See IMG_1015 - it is look from above, from the hotend side. It seems like when printing perimeters, moving for example in Y direction, movement in X direction starts too early, making angle on corners. This is video from printing action [www.youtube.com] the head moves clockwise, so angled movement starts before making corner. If it would be shaky after direction change, it would be more logical for me, but this is confusing.
2, The layers (looking from X or Y axis, see IMG_1018) are shaky. It is very visible in Y axis direction, not that much in X direction.
3, Seems like corners are somehow lifting up.

I'm using heatbed, set to 110°C. Hotend temperature is 225°C, printing ABS material, with 0,35mm nozzle. I tried to set lower movement speeds, I print perimeters even at 15mm/s and it makes no difference to 30 or 60mm/s. I tried to set very low acceleration and deceleration rates, so the print took about 25 minutes, but I can't see any change. I'm using Marlin firmware, but tried to switch to Sprinter, with no positive result.
I'm not sure whether issues 1 and 2 do have common reason.

I can upload more pictures, videos or whatever needed to find the root of my problems. I'm thankful for any hints.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1018_.JPG (124.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_1015_.JPG (138.8 KB)
Re: Angled corners and shaky layers
February 20, 2014 08:45AM
Perhaps you're getting a bit of backlash in your axes? You could try making sure your belts are tight and that the grub screws holding the pulleys on to the steppers are screwed down nice and tight.
Re: Angled corners and shaky layers
February 21, 2014 05:26AM
Seems like the shaky layers are due to Z axis wobble. The pitch of shaky layers match the Z screw pitch and during fast Z axis movement I can see some vibrations. I'll try to get rid of it.
I'm going to try different models and slicers to study the first phenomenon better.

What bothers me now are the lifting corners. I printed some more models and when there is something thin protruding out of bulk base, I can see warping. For example, when printing simple whistle [www.thingiverse.com] I can see the thin part warped. Please, see attached picture. The bulky parts are OK, however.
I have heatbed set at 110°C and I verified this temperature with exact thermometer, as well as extruder temperature, 230°C.
Attachments:
open | download - p_w.jpg (53.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login