Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low Layer Height Issues

Posted by ayouden 
Low Layer Height Issues
March 09, 2014 09:16AM
I tried to print the cute octo today with a 0.05mm layer height.

As you can see, the majority of the print is perfect.

However, the waving leg and the top is very bad!

does anyone have any tips on how to fix this?

I am using 1.75mm white ABS

Thanks

NFireLabs - The World First Modular 3D Printer - At An Affordable Price!
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG0420.jpg (292.7 KB)
open | download - IMAG0421.jpg (346.5 KB)
Re: Low Layer Height Issues
March 09, 2014 01:27PM
ayouden
I tried to print the cute octo today with a 0.05mm layer height.

As you can see, the majority of the print is perfect.

However, the waving leg and the top is very bad!

does anyone have any tips on how to fix this?

I am using 1.75mm white ABS

Thanks

It's because at 50 microns the filament traces you are laying down are very very thin so they break if you do not print directly on top of a previous layer (any bridging fails). Notice how your print failed at points where the nozzle was bridging over sparse infill.

You may want to print the octopus solid to avoid this problem, or at least increase the infill a lot.

Eric
March 09, 2014 01:47PM
okay, what about it's little leg poking up, that went really bad.
March 09, 2014 02:23PM
ayouden
okay, what about it's little leg poking up, that went really bad.

It looks like the same issue related to overhangs. If the angle is too steep and the infill too sparse you could have the same type of problem. I'd try 100% infill as that should theoretically solve all of your problems.

Eric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 02:23PM by RP Iron Man.
March 09, 2014 02:34PM
I currently use 3 perimeters, upping that to 6-10, would that solve it if i kept the infill the same?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 02:37PM by ayouden.
March 09, 2014 03:00PM
Upping the perimeters will help the outside but the infill needs to be higher and or temp higher if possible the thin layer does not allow bridging. You also can slow down bridging layer if using slic3r.
Also you may try infill every 3 to 5 layers. This May or may not help with bridging.

Enable brim with 10 or more line to ensure sides and legs stay down. My guess is that leg is getting dragged by nozzle during a travel move.
March 09, 2014 03:06PM
ayouden
I currently use 3 perimeters, upping that to 6-10, would that solve it if i kept the infill the same?

As jamesdanielv stated above, that may not fix the entire problem. On the inner most perimeter you will have some bridging so you will have to either increase infill, perimeter width, or extrusion temp (though I am not sure if a higher printing temp will be enough to solve the problem). Increasing infill may be the only safe way to go.

I understand why you wouldn't want to do this as it will increase you print times drastically (especially at 50 microns) but it may be the only reliable way to get good prints at this layer height.

Eric
March 09, 2014 03:50PM
Looks like increasing the infill is the way to go, is there a good infill to use other than the default rectilinear?

Thanks
March 09, 2014 04:50PM
ayouden
Looks like increasing the infill is the way to go, is there a good infill to use other than the default rectilinear?

Thanks

In this case rectilinear infill may be the way to go since it creates even spacing of gaps in the infill. However, rectilinear infill involves "weaving" layers together (you are essentially bridging every layer) so you may have problems with the infill messing up. If you have issues try to infill every other layer, or switch to honeycomb infill. Honeycomb infill prints every layer directly on top of the previous layer so you won't have bridging issues.

Eric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 04:50PM by RP Iron Man.
March 09, 2014 06:29PM
Just a heads up, you cant do 100% infill with honeycomb.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
March 09, 2014 07:42PM
gmh39
Just a heads up, you cant do 100% infill with honeycomb.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that winking smiley

I have learned this the hard way many times over. There have been times when I am switching from honeycomb to solid infill and I forget the switch to rectilinear style infill. I spend 10 minutes rebooting slic3er and checking all of my settings trying to understand why it won't slice confused smiley

I feel pretty dumb after I finally figure it out grinning smiley

Eric
March 10, 2014 05:14AM
If I slow down the solid infill, would that help?
March 10, 2014 08:45AM
yes it could, you want the filament to not tear. it is easier to tear the closer nozzle is to previous layer. things that help reduce tearing are increase of temp, and slowing down print. normally you want a quick tear, it provides a clean break, but not when doing solid infill. you can slow down bridging layer which would be first solid layer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2014 10:46PM by jamesdanielv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login