Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hobbed bolt shaving the filament

Posted by hhbhagat 
Hobbed bolt shaving the filament
April 10, 2014 12:31PM
The hotend itself is fine. But after a couple turns of the hobbed bolt, it starts to shave the filament and I keep having to clean it off because it cant grab it. Any suggestions?

Picture:

Thanks.
Re: Hobbed bolt shaving the filament
April 10, 2014 02:07PM
In practically all cases where i had this the hotend did offer to much resistance, for various reasons.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
April 10, 2014 02:57PM
So should I take off the hotend and clean it out or ream it? I cringe at the thought because I had bought this prebuilt. Is it too hard for a novice?
April 10, 2014 03:04PM
Have you tried pushing the filament by hand? Does that work? If not you will have to clean out the hotend.
The first step in cleaning should be to heat up the hotend to about 80% or less of the normal printing temperature. At that time the filament usually starts to become soft but still keeps together. This allows you to pull out as much filament as possible in one go.
For ABS Aceton is perfect to remove all remains.
Cheers
Björn

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
April 10, 2014 03:19PM
What I meant by the hotend working fine is that when I bypass the hobbed bolt, pushing it through is easygoing and without stutter or effort. What I want to know is whether I need a new hobbed bolt or if my firmware config is bunk. This printer is fairly new, about a month old.
April 10, 2014 03:43PM
How fast is the hobbed bolt rotating on extrusion? If it were to rotate way to fast for the hotend to keep up it would shred the filament.
Other than that i can't say, i never tried any bolt similar to the one you use.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
April 10, 2014 03:48PM
I have been wavering between 640 steps/mm and 685 steps/mm and I have no idea what effect it has. My steppers are 1.8deg motors.
April 10, 2014 06:38PM
Slow down your printing speed to see if that solves the problem (you don't need to change your steps/mm).
April 11, 2014 03:39PM
It's not that I have gotten to the stage of printing even. I am trying for the hobbed bolt to not shave it.
April 12, 2014 05:04AM
Still, please try to reduce the print speed. If you have a fundamental error in the settings of your extruder speed it can happen that the bolt turns much faster than the hotend can cope with. In that case the filament would be shredded, but if you try by hand it works fine.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login