Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X axis issues

Posted by tbaxter08700 
X axis issues
May 28, 2014 03:49AM
Very annoying problem I have with my prusa i3. when I press x home it doesn't go home, I have to press it a few times or manually moves it and then press home again. Once it's there, say I say go right 100 it moves fine but if I say move back left 100 it only moves about 10? Any ideas? Y and z axis are fine. Just press home and that's it.
Re: X axis issues
May 28, 2014 10:45AM
Just guessing, but something's wrong with your end stop. I had the same problem when I upgraded firmware. My config of the endstops was wrong [rather than normally open, my endstops are normally close]. Along with the direction of the endstops being wrong, but that has different symptoms.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
May 28, 2014 12:04PM
I right. Maybe the wires the wrong way round? Or doesn't it matter? But the end stops do stop it when it gets there!
May 28, 2014 12:41PM
For mechanical, it doesn't matter the direction of current, so long as they are on the right pins [S and +].

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
May 28, 2014 02:15PM
The stops work because when it moves if I press the stop it stops....
May 28, 2014 02:19PM
Have you tried switching the direction of the axis and the direction of homing in your firmware? If it thinks the home is the other direction it won't move that direction.
Just a hunch: have you tried holding down the endstop and moving the axis both direction while holding it down?

May 28, 2014 02:26PM
Don't know how to mess with the firmware mate. If I hold down the endstop it won't move towards the endstop but will move away from it.
May 28, 2014 03:18PM
tbaxter08700
If I hold down the endstop it won't move towards the endstop but will move away from it.
Repeatably without a single difference? That means it's homing the right direction and all. Endstop works. Have you tried disconnecting the endstop and then moving the axis? If it will move freely like that than there is noise/loose short in your setup. I'm just running off of things I've read now, I haven't had too many problems with my endstops.

May 28, 2014 03:33PM
Yep I have tried that mate. I appreciate all the ideas mate. Maybe it's not the endstop? Maybe the motor wiring? Are they supposed to wire up differently or all the same?
May 28, 2014 04:01PM
Should be all the same. I've never heard of motors wiring differently per axis. That shouldn't effect direction-only movement, it will either work or not work. Switching pairs will simply change the direction of movement.

May 28, 2014 04:10PM
That's what I thought. Really at a stump here.
May 28, 2014 08:20PM
endstop is prob inverted post your configuration.h file if you are using marlin

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
May 29, 2014 02:44AM
Could u tell me how to do it please. Thanks
May 29, 2014 03:01AM
Could u tell me how to do it please. It is marlin firmware using a melzi board. Thanks
May 29, 2014 05:34PM
No wonder I'm having problems. See the capacitor missing behind the x stop connection?

May 30, 2014 08:13AM
I think you mean heatsink?

May 30, 2014 08:41AM
Is that what it is? The yellow thing? Looks like a capacitor to me?!

The silver things are heat sinks ain't they?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2014 08:43AM by tbaxter08700.
May 30, 2014 09:31AM
Whoops! Looking at the wrong thing. Yeah, that would definitely cause a problem. Don't know my electronics well enough to know what that is, though. I didn't think capacitors looked like that, but you're probably more knowledgeable than I am.

May 30, 2014 10:02AM
Contacted them anyway so hoping for a rreplacement. It has a c on the board next to it so I assume it is a cap.
May 31, 2014 05:32AM
So I have finally fixed the original problem by doing this

But now I have this problem. Any ideas?

May 31, 2014 10:31AM
That's odd, shifting is usually from skipping steps/belts, but that's a smooth shift. Move your Z axis up and down that same area, does your bed wobble?

May 31, 2014 11:00AM
No, no wobble mate.
May 31, 2014 12:44PM
Maybe over or under driving the motors.
May 31, 2014 12:53PM
No, that's not over, and under would skip steps, which leaves a tiered shift, not a smooth shift like that. I mean it could be under powered, but I've never seen it like that before. Try turning up your trimpot by 1/16th turn.

June 03, 2014 04:56PM
I had a print do that because of a loose belt, I'd forgotten to tighten it properly after making a change. I also had it happen when my acceleration settings were too high when I first set it up, for some reason it would only skip to the left and made the prints lean.
June 04, 2014 05:12AM
Yes, it looks like belt slop.

Click here to login