Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jhead setup

Posted by Willy_HSV 
Jhead setup
February 04, 2015 01:48AM
I think I found my problem, now I need instructions. I have been having my ABS jam while trying to extrude. The extruder would click and nothing would come out immediately. Then after a little wait, it would start creeping out and curling up along the head. So I tried the cooling and pulling, wire in the hole, pushing hard, etc... nothing was clearing it. So I removed it to have a look. The plastic was packed in there and was not only in the hole, but along the ridge where the nozzle shaft narrows. If I figure it correctly, that is where the PTFE is supposed to be seated. So I am assuming that the insert is not fully seated inside the nozzel throat. So my question is, after I get this all cleaned up and new looking again, what are the proper steps for putting it back together?

Does the insert get pushed into the nozzel first, making sure it is seated well, then the cooling tower slid over top of that? Then how far can the brass hex nut on the top be screwed in to keep the liner in place?

I kept burning the crap out of my finger tips trying to get this cleared and off, I dont want to have to do it again because I did not put it together right (which I have doubts on the way it was shipped to me).

Also, can anyone verify what type JHead I actually have? I am assuming it is a MK IV clone from what I can find on the web, but it does not look exactly like any I am finding.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

< Signature 404 >
Attachments:
open | download - 20150203_235926_R.jpg (408.5 KB)
open | download - 20150204_000035_R.jpg (403 KB)
open | download - 20150204_000126_R.jpg (381.6 KB)
Re: Jhead setup
February 04, 2015 12:04PM
Can I please get an admin to move this post to Reprappers section? I guess I should have posted it there confused smiley
February 04, 2015 02:09PM
I am not sure what jhead you have. It looks similar to mine which is a Mk Vb, but not exactly the same. I suggest you check out the Wiki.

I have looked at your pics. I can't see how the molten plastic could leak along the thread. Suggest you look closely to see if the peek bit is cracked. Could be a hairline crack. I overtightened mine and cracked it. should be finger tight or maybe a touch more. Then put in the PTFE liner and finally tighten the lock ring. My hotend does not have the recess in the nozzle for the liner. It is just finished flat.
February 04, 2015 02:17PM
The plastic does not make it out to the threads, but looks like it it gathering between the liner and the nozzle. Almost like the liner is to short and is not keeping a tight fit. It may be that they just did not tighten the lock ring down enough and it may have left play in the liner. I will try to see if I can measure the depth and compare it to the liner to make sure I have the proper length

Thanks.
February 04, 2015 02:39PM
Sounds like the PTFE liner is loose. The locknut needs to be tightened down with an allen key.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login