Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

water in filament cause feed problems?

Posted by shadowphile 
water in filament cause feed problems?
February 07, 2015 03:42PM
Im having feed resistance slowly get worse and worse during a print until I can hardly feed it by hand.
I have been using ABS just laying about and see steam from the extruded plastic. Can water in the filament contribute to jamming?
Re: water in filament cause feed problems?
February 07, 2015 06:21PM
While ABS is less prone to water absorption than PLA it can still be affected. You can dry it out either using an air tight container and some desiccant or a small oven (not for food) set to around 120c for an hour.
February 08, 2015 12:14PM
Thank for the response. I have read much talk about how humidty is bad and how to get rid of it but I cant find much about WHY? Specifically, I have jamming problems despite all my care so I thought maybe water can do that.
February 08, 2015 01:14PM
I don't think water causes jamming. It causes oozing as the steam expands and produces pock marks on the print where the steam bubbles burst.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 09, 2015 08:13PM
I did have a roll of ABS that was older and was acting up, I had problems with it jamming up but it use to print fine. I dried it in an oven and then tried again and it worked perfect for the rest of the roll.

I won't pretend I understand why exactly but the only thing I can think of is that moisture made it jam somehow.
February 11, 2015 03:49AM
Two things will happen when filament takes on humidity.
1. The volume increases. If the filament is already at the upper range in diameter this alone might make an extruder jam
2. The moisture will evaporate when the filament is printed. The resulting miniature bursts will make most prints useless.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login