Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Solid perimeter

Posted by chriske 
Solid perimeter
January 12, 2016 04:59AM
Hi,

I'm trying to print containers(100x50x50mm - 4"x2"x2") with solid walls. The walls of these containers are only 1.5mm thick(about 1/16").
Purpose is to print a solid wall of that thickness but without infill pattern. Whatever setting I try to change Slicer will add a infill.(Tried different Slicer settings.)
The problem with infills that wide is that the extruder body shivers violently during the process. And that is what I want get rid off.
Is it possible to print just perimeters and disable infill..? I already tried Infill '0' but that leaves a gap between inner and outer perimeter.
'Spiral vase' is not an option because the walls would be to thin for this project.
How do I solve this. Anyone had this problem and solved it...?

Printer:i2 nozzle:0.5

Thanks,

Chris
Attachments:
open | download - thinwalls.JPG (72.6 KB)
Re: Solid perimeter
January 12, 2016 07:35AM
Set slicer to the widest line with that makes sense depending on the geometry of the nozzle- if it has a 1mm diameter flat where the 0.5 mm hole is, you can set the line width to 0.75mm using the advanced settings in Slic3r. Slic3r should then give just two adjacent lines when you slice. If they don't overlap and stick together, increase the flow a bit to make sure the lines overlap slightly.

Everyone here is using 3D printers. We all think in metric- there's no need to pollute your posts with dimensions in inches.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - nozzle.png (105.9 KB)
January 12, 2016 01:45PM
the_digital_dentist
if it has a 1mm diameter flat where the 0.5 mm hole is

It's amazing how little the diameter of the flat is discussed. It seems to me to be a critical part of the nozzle design, at least if not more significant than the diameter of the hole. I also noticed when ordering some spare nozzles that a lot of the 'budget' manufactures pay very little attention to this area, with very small and uneven surfaces surrounding the nozzle exit. Well worth paying some attention to this area with fine grit emery paper and maybe even polishing after. I plan on making a jig to keep things square.

We all think in metric- there's no need to pollute your posts with dimensions in inches.

And there we part ways. You can pry the fractional inches from my cold dead hands, for they are like old friends to me. Although I'll admit to a smattering of metric values creeping into my work alongside the good old ways. Flexible thinking and all that.
January 13, 2016 02:25AM
Thanks for the reply. Still, I always add inches and foots when I feel there's need for it to our imperial thinking friends. It's kind of an old habit to do so from visits on astronomical and also 'mechanical engineering' forums(where imperial values rules).
Like you said James, flexible thinking...

Chris(Belgium)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 02:48AM by chriske.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login