Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis very squirrely

Posted by zakelectric 
Z axis very squirrely
January 20, 2016 02:20AM
Hi all,

I just got a delta printer (kossel style? not really down with the lingo yet). Anyways, I've installed a horizontal facing laser on it so I can do big etches on pieces of wood as opposed to pointing the laser straight down.

When I go straight up and down along the Z axis, I am not getting a straight line, it deviates such that it makes for skewed laser etches. Now here's what I have done:
- Checked all the bolts on the carriage wheels, carriage bolts, arm bolts, etc. Everything is tight.
- Made sure my pulleys are exactly the same length.
- Entered all my delta dimensions into my sketch.
- Calibrated stepper driver currents (Ramps 1.4, pololu's), although doesn't seem like this would make much difference.
- Checked what seem like important dimensions, everything seems to be within about 1mm tolerance.

I'm waiting for a hot plate so I haven't done all the calibration required for printing. It just seems, however, that even without calibration I should be able to trace a straight line up and down. Am I missing something big or obvious here? Perhaps the nature of how a delta style printer works would prohibit me from even trying to use a horizontal facing laser since the print head twists ever-so-slightly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Zach
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login