Advanced

Another clogged HE!

Posted by KillerDave 
Another clogged HE!
March 13, 2016 06:50PM
Hi Folks,

Ok, my printer is....

Sunhokey Prusa i3.
Bowden Extruder fitted with an E3d V6 Hot End.
PCB Heat Bed with a Glass Surface and a BuildTak Sheet.
Also has Auto Leveling.

I have set my gaps and extrusion and all WAS going well.....

That was until I changed to a different filament....
I was using Filaprint PLA but I wanted grey for the particular project I am on...

I found some through Amazon... [www.amazon.co.uk]

I did print a few small parts and it seemed fine but then I went for a 10 hour print and about 3hrs in, it failed.... After I stripped the hot end I found it was blocked well into the heat break....

I tried another print that should've taken about 3hrs, and this time it failed after the first few layers....????

Another thing is, If I lift the nozzle up a way, and then extrude some it's fine....
I would have thought this was due to my nozzle being too close to the bed but that's at .3mm on the first layer....

Convinced it's the filament, I put the Filaprint stuff back in and tried the 3 hour print again..... It worked great.... just the wrong colour.....

Can anyone figure this out please???
Re: Another clogged HE!
March 13, 2016 07:55PM
I've had issues with diameters varying on cheap and expensive filaments. From 1.5mm to 2.0mm. Now I use only Foxsmart. $16.00 and flat $4.00 shipping on 1 or 100 rolls.
March 14, 2016 02:21AM
OK, I'll have a look at that....
The thing is, I've read nothing but great reviews about this stuff????
March 14, 2016 02:32AM
Thing with filaments is that you always have to check and calibrate for a new batch.
Even if you oder ther same stuff from the same supplier a few months leter, chances are the filament will react differently.
You can take you existing values for temp, speed and extrusion multiplier as a guide but for each new roll find the right settings with a few small testprints first.
Some colors behave quite odd too, for example white PLA I had turned very crumbly and looked like chalk.
Was driving me mad trying to get a proper surface finnish.
Ran out and ordered "natural white", prints like a charm with a perfectly smooth surface.
And some rolls I ordered I actually had to send back due to poor quality.
With a roll of pink PLA nothing was possible as it broke as soon as I tried to get it off the roll LOL
March 14, 2016 02:38AM
Ok, I'll clean it out again and try a test print....
The strange thing is, the first thing I printed in this grey stuff is a ring about 60mm dia and 6mm hight... Perfect!
Then I went to print a cylinder same dia' but about 130 tall and that failed....
Then everything after that fails after the first few layers????
March 14, 2016 03:36AM
Maybe its some kind of heat creep. It may take a while for the heat to creep from the nozzle up the heat break and then to soften the filament enough to jam. Maybe you've just been lucky with the other filament.

So, some basic questions to cover the obvious (a photo would probably help too)...
I take it that you do have a fan on the heatsink? And that it is on all the time? With a good shroud around the heatsink? And that it is positioned at the bottom of the heatsink?

Does your hot-end have a PTFE liner? After many hours of experimenting with PLA in an unlined Chinese "E3DV6", I gave up and replaced it with a lined one. Like magic, the problems all went away.

The last thing you could try is a total experiment. In theory, your heatsink fan should be more efficient if it sucks hot air away from the heatsink, rather than blowing cold air onto it. I now have my fan switched to "suck", and it works fine. But I think the total sample size of this experiment is so far 1.
March 14, 2016 04:17PM
frankvdh
Maybe its some kind of heat creep. It may take a while for the heat to creep from the nozzle up the heat break and then to soften the filament enough to jam. Maybe you've just been lucky with the other filament.

So, some basic questions to cover the obvious (a photo would probably help too)...
I take it that you do have a fan on the heatsink? And that it is on all the time? With a good shroud around the heatsink? And that it is positioned at the bottom of the heatsink?

Does your hot-end have a PTFE liner? After many hours of experimenting with PLA in an unlined Chinese "E3DV6", I gave up and replaced it with a lined one. Like magic, the problems all went away.

The last thing you could try is a total experiment. In theory, your heatsink fan should be more efficient if it sucks hot air away from the heatsink, rather than blowing cold air onto it. I now have my fan switched to "suck", and it works fine. But I think the total sample size of this experiment is so far 1.

Hi Frank,

Ok... The Hot End is a genuine E3d V6 and it doe sindeed have the PTFE liner go all the way to the heat break. and it also has the fan on it... when printing it runs at 100% the whole time
The shroud is again the E3d item... it covers the full length of the heat sink and wraps round about 2/3rds...

I have a laser temp scanner but the battery's dead! I was gonna check to see how good the heat sink is... I'll get a new battery and check it soon...

I'll also drop some pictures

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 06:29PM by KillerDave.
March 15, 2016 03:16PM
Ok, Here are the results of tonight....

The single wall square is my go to calibration parts and it has worked out for me in the past.....

The white part is made with Filaprint PLA 1.75 and is all but spot on... (I have calibrated my extrusion for another product (Orange Filaprint))

The grey part is from the BQ filament with a temp up at 230 as I saw a video printing at 230 and it looked good....

As you can see, it didn't do well......

I also tried to extrude 100mm after lifting the HE and the results from that left me with no option than to reset the printer to stop it.... BLOCKED AGAIN!....

Grrrrr!!!!
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_6555 a.JPG (549.5 KB)
March 16, 2016 05:05PM
230 seems very high for PLA. I print it at 190. I don't change temperatures for different rolls/brands of PLA. Maybe if I did I would get better results, but I do at least get adequate results at 190.

Bear in mind that 230 on one machine may be quite different from 230 on another machine, depending on the location of thermistor relative to heater and nozzle. Also, if the wrong thermistor table is used, things will be way off.

I'd suggest set your printer to the temperature that works with Filaprint, then try lifting the HE and extruding 100mm of the BQ. Also, measure the diameter of both filaments.
March 16, 2016 06:35PM
Hi Frank,

That's what I was thinking but BQ suggested that's what they print at so I went with it....

On the e3d hot end, the heater and thermistor are quite close... I'm need to change the battery in my temp probe to check it out....

I did plan to re-cal me extrusion and change for a new nozzle but probably wont get a chance 'til the weekend???

The diameters on both filaments are bang on 1.75 so I'm happy with that at least.....
March 17, 2016 01:25AM
I have another one that I forgot to mention in all the PLA problem threads.
When I started printing with the original setup and the old Jheads I was pretty much used to cleaning the entire hotend if the printer was not used for a few days.
To be quite honest: I thought it is normal that the stuff in the hotend forms a hard brown mess sad smiley
Then I changed to my first ABS roll and it was like the whole world changed.
No more clogging, no hours of useless cleaning, just good prints (well now I would call them crap but I was happy at that time LOL ).
Going back to PLA started the old troubles again but after some reading here in the forum I realised that my temp might be too high.
This was confirmed through thin wall prints and bridging tests.

I now have a little textfile on my cumputer where I note all brands, colors, year and month of sale, and all my print settings.
I also make my rolls with a number corresponding to the line in the textfile.
But the main change was how I start with a new filament:
I start with the lowest temp that is recommended by the seller and if my notes show even lower temps I use this temp.
The first 20 or 30cm of filament is wasted for measurements, flow tests and simply pushed through once I am done - I never use the first three or four "rings" of a new roll for a serious print!
Next step is a little collection of small testobjects to test solid infill, walls and bridging.
The speed is referenced from my notes and experience, the multiplier checked with the solid infill and thin walls.
The temp is referenced after the other parameters are fine through the bridging test.
Sagging means temp is too high, failing to bond means temp is too low - there is a sweet spot of about 5 degrees for every filament at higher speeds, around 8-10° for slower speeds.
ABS, Nylon and other "complicated" filaments receive finetuning with a solid 10mm cube.
Only if the infill is perfect, the perimeters are fine and nothing can be seperated with a knife edge I am certain to have the correct settings.
Keep in mind though that changing room temperatures will affect all this, some filaments react worse than others here and a heated bed and enclosed printer certainly helps the beginner and pro with big prints.

For PLA I sometimes do another test, which I call the "resting test".
If I suspect during a print my temp might be getting too high for slower speeds I intentionally give the hotend a chance to make the PLA go bad.
With the normal print temp set I let the thing just idle for about 20 minutes.
Usually nothing should happen in this case, except that the hotend runs dry as the PLA will drip out over time.
But if the temp is too high you can hear some crackling noise after the worst dripping stopped - this is boiling PLA!
As side effect of this boiling is that the PLA dries out completely and starts to burn to a brownish mess.
Still, unless your nozzle is very fine and the temp is not too far out, all this brown goo will come out when you extrude a few cm of filament.
If you check this goo and find hard brown rubbish with an almost crystalline structure you know for sure a disaster could happen during the next print.
With high print speeds you will never have a problem during your prints as the (too) high temp is required to enable good layer bonding.
But is you do tests, some cleaning of the plate or so and leave the hotend on....

If you encounter totally clogged hotends with PLA this neat trick might safe you a few hours of cleaning time.
The following is only for really bad blockages that can't be cleared with a wire or normal methods.
You know what I mean if you already had multiple cleaning sessions in a row with increasing levels of frustration.
With a normal hotend you only have the heatbreak and nozzle that would clogg up - the cold end or teflon liner should never be a problem to clear / replace.
Take the heatbreak and nozzle and some old pointy nose pliers.
Go outside with them and grab your blow torch.
Start with the heatbreak and hold it with one end down so the goo can drip out.
Heat gently and observe!
Once the plastic starts to drip be careful with the heat and make sure all vital body parts are out of reach of the molten plastic!!
Once you can see through take a toothpick or similar to clean most of the remains so you get a clean looking hole.
Now heat again but with increased heat to burn off all remaining plastic inside - don't go overboard and let the heatbreak change the color!
Everything left in there should be black ash that can be fully removed with toothpick and cotton buds - if in doubt finnish off with a bit of metal polish on the bud.
The nozzle hold with the screw end down and have your cleaning wire at hand!
Heat until the plastic start to drip and try to force the nozzle free with the wire (or drill).
If no luck heat again and be a bit faster this time winking smiley
No luck again means you had the temp too high during your print and the nozzle got blocked by already charred PLA.
Clean the inside as good as you can and then heat the nozzle fully to burn out the charred plastic.
If you have a brass nozzle you can go really high here if the case requires it - just have a glass of water at hand for the last step!
A badly blocked nozzle means you need to get the entire thing hot enough to fully burn the PLA to just ash.
Punch a long nail through a piece of timer or put it in a vice and rest the nozzle on there - easier than burning your hands on the hot pliers.
If you can darken the area or do it at night time.
This way you can see once the brass start to glow slightly red - at this point nothing but ash should be left in your nozzle.
Take the pliers and dump the nozlle into the water.
This step will do two things:
A) The brass is hardend again.
cool smiley If any of the remaining stuff in the tiny hole is still there and hard it be be cracked off the surface from the temperature shock.

After a quick rub with some metal polish you shall enjoy a hotend in mint condition ready to print.
March 17, 2016 02:24AM
Many thanks for ALL of that info...

I'll give this a go over the weekend....

As for changing room temp's.... I have been thinking of building an enclosure....???
March 17, 2016 05:48AM
I still do all my prints without but here in AU I usually only suffer from too hot temps and not suck much from low temp problems.
But from what I have tried so far I have to say that really big parts, considering my 300x260x200 build volume, benefit from an enclosure or at least a big bag over the printer to keep the temp evenly inside.
12h plus prints usually encounter changing room temperatures to some degree and if it is more than 5or8 it can be enough to show in the print.
March 18, 2016 02:09AM
Downunder35m
I still do all my prints without but here in AU I usually only suffer from too hot temps and not suck much from low temp problems.
But from what I have tried so far I have to say that really big parts, considering my 300x260x200 build volume, benefit from an enclosure or at least a big bag over the printer to keep the temp evenly inside.
12h plus prints usually encounter changing room temperatures to some degree and if it is more than 5or8 it can be enough to show in the print.

That is something I have been thinking about....
It got real cold in my man cave at the start of the winter.... (Min temp error)

I got asked to make something yesterday in black, I told the guy I was having problems but I'd give it a go.... It turned out perfect! The black I have came with the printer from China! no idea what brand it is but it came out so clean!

On another note.... Part of the rocket I'm building is not tiny but a fragile looking "scaffold" structure.... I asked the CAD guys at work if they'd print it on their Pro Rapid Prototyper (3d printer)... it came out really bad! £20K V £300.... I'll take my £300 machine thanks!
March 20, 2016 08:46AM
Hi. I had a similar problem, read this (I found the solution today!), it might help you:

[forums.reprap.org]
March 20, 2016 10:21AM
Something dawned on me today....
I started to doubt that this was PLA so I went for the next thing... ABS???

I did a dip test in acetone and stuck two failed prints together....

So, I set my printer up for ABS, 240 HE and 100 Heat bed....

I then calibrated my E-steps.... did a test print and it was good..... ish....

I then went for a simple print and guess what..... Blocked Hot end! FFS!!!!!!

This stuff is going back!

And getting crappy feedback on Amazon!
March 20, 2016 05:51PM
Before you throw the towel:
There is always a reason why a hotend blocks up.
You already noticed some filament works better.
So why not try to get going the other way around?
Instead of going high with the temps go down.
Push the filament by hand and increase the temp until you can just push the stuff through, use this temp and a low speed of aroun 20mm/s for a test.
Keep the test simple and short, like a little cube.
If it works out somehow check the filament inside the cold end, it should show little to no damage from th transport and should still appear to be round.
If you notice at this stage the filament expanded into the cold end they you have a crappy heatbreak or a cooling problem for the cold end / heat break.
If you work with retraction by default keep it off for the test print.

You might end up with bad layer bonding due to the temp being low but if the stuff comes out without blocking it might just be a bad hotend...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login