Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Over extruding!

Posted by Dreadnaught426 
Over extruding!
April 18, 2016 12:41PM
If I'm printing something small I get over-extrusion when doing infill. My E-steps are dead on.

I use repetier to generate g-code and print from an sd on my prusa i3.

In Slic3r i did notice one thing, not sure if it matters but maybe. Under the Print Setting tab and under the Advanced tab, First layer is at 200% in extrusion width. Should this be at 0 for default or is this normal? Also, in Overlap the Infill/Perimeters overlap is at 15%. Normal or not?

And help is appreciated.

Thanks, Adam.
Re: Over extruding!
April 18, 2016 01:46PM
Dreadnaught426
My E-steps are dead on.

How did you determine that? The definition of well calibrated e-steps is that solid infill has no gaps and no bumps/ridges. Everything else just gets you in the ballpark. (ok, I admit that's an arguable point. If you're printing single walled vases then perhaps the width of the wall is the more appropriate measure of accurate extrusion)

First layer is at 200% in extrusion width.

Slic3r uses % of layer height for widths, which I find unhelpful. I prefer to set a fixed width in mm and typically use a wider width for the first layer than for the remaining layers. Changing the width should have no impact on over/under extrusion as the volume is calculated accordingly.

Also, in Overlap the Infill/Perimeters overlap is at 15%. Normal or nott?

Normal, but potentially the cause of over-extrusion on small models where fill is comprised of many short segments. You can try reducing this a little but watch out for the infill becoming less well attached to the perimeters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login