Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SD memory card

Posted by kd6hq 
SD memory card
December 07, 2017 04:03PM
SD memory card

Anyone know the largest size memory card I can use?
I using the RepRap discount full graphic smart controller and Marlin firmware.
thanks
Re: SD memory card
December 07, 2017 05:15PM
I have used 16 GB cards int he past but don't recommend it. One has a tendency to accumulate large numbers of gcode files on large capacity cards. When you try to open the directory to select a file to print that causes two problems. First, if there are a lot of files on the card it can take a long time to read all of them. Second, for some reason, the file you want to print (the newest one on the card) almost always ends up at the bottom of the list, requiring a lot of scrolling to get to it.

I like to use 256 or 512 MB cards. They load fast and don't hold many files so you don't have to do too much scrolling to get to the one you want.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 07, 2017 06:37PM
Where do you find cards that small at? Seems like the smallest I ever see anymore are 8GB. Thanks for the help.
December 07, 2017 09:28PM
Do a search on amazon or ebay. Those small cards were sometimes used to publish and distribute digital issues of magazines and can be bought in bulk for low prices. They were also the size of cards that came with cameras about 5 or 6 years ago. 1 or 2 GB cards should be good too, but you can end up with a lot more files on them.

[www.ebay.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login