Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament Runout Distance Overshooting Target on Ender 3

Posted by MattTB1984 
Filament Runout Distance Overshooting Target on Ender 3
December 11, 2021 03:28PM
I have been using a filament runout sensor with no issues until I modified my rig such that the sensor is now farther away from the extruder inline with a Bowden feed tube. The printer can use an additional 393mm once the sensor is triggered and I have modified my configuration to reflect that (FILAMENT_RUNOUT_DISTANCE_MM is set to 393 in configuration.h file). The problem is the printer will try to use quite a bit more filament than this before asking for a filament change.

I have experimented with some different values and found the higher the runout distance set the farther it overshoots the value, seeming to increase exponentially. Filament runout triggers accurately at small values (20-40mm), although the error may be just harder to notice.

Has anyone else experienced an issue similar to this, and if so found any solution other that finding a value that works through trial and error or just keeping the sensor closer to the extruder? I'm just wondering what's causing Marlin to inaccurately track filament feed and if this could be actually related to some other issue, although I haven't had any over/under extrusion issues and my extruder esteps have been calibrated correctly.

I'm running Marlin 2.0.9.2 on a relatively stock Ender 3 and have also tried the most recent bugfix with the same results. I attached both config files if that is of any help.

Appreciate any insight into this issue.

-Matt
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (108.5 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (166.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login