Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good Bed adhesion

Posted by knight 
Good Bed adhesion
February 26, 2014 07:46PM
Hey all,

i would like to talk about bed adhesion, but in a deviation from normal I'd like to talk about good adhesion, in fact bed adhesion that is too good.

I've been running heated bed, 2.5 mm glass and covering that with generic $2 normal (newsagent cream coloured) masking tape. It has been adhering really well, no lifting during the print.

Unfortunately as a result I haven't been able to get stuff off the bed after the print (yes I did let it cool down) and 2 nights ago I broke the glass plate trying to leaver stuff off. I'm going to replace the glass on Friday but I would like to try to avoid this happening again.

I'm printing PLA at 195° onto a 65° plate (reduced to 190° and 60° from layer 2).

Any suggestions?
Re: Good Bed adhesion
February 26, 2014 07:58PM
If you are using a heated bed with PLA, then masking tape is really unnecessary. Some people get away with printing PLA on bare heated glass. Others (including me) coat the bed with glue stick (the purple disappearing kind, others may work as well) or dilute PVA glue (Elmer's or white). Parts pop right off after the bed cools down, sometimes requiring a slight sideways tap with a small hammer.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
February 26, 2014 11:11PM
or use thin later of floor acrylic/floor wax. i wipe it in with a paper napkin, thin as possible. parts stick and pop off when bed cools

my rostock max has a boron silicate bed, and i used floor acrylic to bond the play test part. video is here of print, at end i don't wait for it too cool off, i just twist and it pops off
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 11:17PM by jamesdanielv.
February 27, 2014 03:17AM
Clean glass is all that is needed for me with PLA. Parts are extremely difficult to shift when the bed is hot but easy when cooled down.

February 27, 2014 10:03AM
Upvote for the dilute PVA method. This solved all my lifting / curling problems and is easy to apply.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
February 27, 2014 03:32PM
If you do want to use the masking tape - the more expensive blue painters tape is a finer grained paper, so while you will get good adhesion you can still remove the parts. (I generally print PLA straight on the glass at around 60 degress, it binds while the glass is hot and comes straight off once cool, I use the tape for ABS.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login