Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Issue with first layer

Posted by Floyd 
Issue with first layer
February 26, 2014 10:16PM
The skirt, perimiter line and first line of the base looked great but as soon as it started adding lines it started messing up.
The part is ~4" square.
ABS at 225c and bed at 110c with a first layer height of .25mm
I Just leveled the bed to .1mm (paper method) and ive had tons of great prints without this issue.
Any suggestions?

You can see the great skirt lines!

Re: Issue with first layer
February 26, 2014 10:28PM
Did you just start going down to a layer height of .25mm?
If you've been doing larger layers before you may not have noticed over extrusion problems.
It looks like either your e-steps are not calibrated right or your nozzle diameter isn't set right.
Either way, it's over extruding.

Your extruding so much plastic, your hot end is dragging through your overflow.
February 26, 2014 11:21PM
I just asked Pronterface to extrude 100mm and I was 6.7mm short. Im aparently under extruding. I ran this test twice.
Now to figure out how to change it...
February 26, 2014 11:58PM
Uploaded the new firmware and it extrudes 100mm when I tell it.
Now for some calibration pieces before I attempt this part again.
February 27, 2014 01:30AM
I just printed out a test part and it was perfect. I guess it was just because my steps were off. Ill try this original object tomorrow.
February 27, 2014 01:35PM
It may have been that your print was closer to the bed then the machine thought. (Too much plastic volume for the layer height available)
February 28, 2014 10:40AM
Printed out the part again last night and it was still wavy like the first although it was a lot better.
Watching it print it looks like its not stepping over enough and its laying the next bead almost on top of the first. From there its just a tolerance build up and it gets worse the farther you go.
Im going to try Slic3r tonight and see what it gets me. Cura is nice and all but the options are lacking compared to Slic3r.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login