Advanced

Prusa i3v print issue

Posted by shark669 
Prusa i3v print issue
June 11, 2014 02:45AM
Hi
It’s my third print, so is still learning the calibration of the Prusa i3v
I tried to print some rivets for “iPhone Gear Case” from thingiverse
As you can see in the picture there is huge differences between the stl and actual print,
I used slicer for the conversion between stl and gcode,
I tried changing layer thickness from 0.25 to 0.1 - I got better resolution in the base but same results in the rivet pin.
What other settings should I investigate?
Thank you for your help.
Attachments:
open | download - 20140610_151057.jpg (95.2 KB)
open | download - 20140610_15105_org.jpg (44.6 KB)
Re: Prusa i3v print issue
June 11, 2014 04:05AM
Hi, and welcome to 3D printing! smiling smiley

To me it appears like you don't use retraction, or not enougth. Do you?
If not, in Slic3r, go to Printer Settings -> Extruder 1, and in Length enter a value between 1.5mm and 4mm. Keep the speed below 50 and you should be good to go.
Personnally I use Cura, and it's located in advanced settings (second tab).

Also, your parts seem to be a little "melted".
To improve this, several options :
  • Do you use a fan? It really greatly helps, to me it is a must have! Plus, it's really easy to mount one on a prusa!
  • You can also try to decrease your print temperature, which will then decrease oozing (filament flowing when not extruding), causing you all the strings and mess on the edges when traveling.
  • If your layers are too short (in time) you can try to use the options "minimum layer time" (will slow down the printer to ensure the plastic has enough time to cool down when the nozzle is somewhere else).
June 11, 2014 02:21PM
Extruding too much plastic building up and squashing the layers if ure printing pla get a fan blowing on the parts

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 11, 2014 03:21PM
you'll need a print cooling fan for small parts. the heat buildup is just too much to dissipate otherwise. How hot are you running your HBP?
June 20, 2014 11:50PM
Thank you guys!
as far as Extruding too much plastic building up and squashing the layers

How to check this??
June 21, 2014 06:05AM
Well 1st is have you measured what you sending through the extruder. I took my hotend of made a mark on filament the extruded 100mm of filament and measured it and calibrated it using the prusa calculator to adjust the e steps in firnware, also flow setting in slicer theres a few tweeks but make sure calibrate the e steps, also if you think printers going too fast slow it down get a fan on parts if pla

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login