Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 issue

Posted by Scathos 
Ramps 1.4 issue
August 25, 2018 07:09AM
I have recently bought a Ramps 1.4 board and have been trying to hook it up for a while now, when I upload the Marlin 1.1 firmware onto it the LCD smart board is just blank, the backlight is on and the LCDs are all on I originally thought this was just too much power going into it however fiddling with the potentiometer on the back doesn't help. Furthermore even when using the test code for driving the steppers they all vibrate or whine for about 5 seconds before working and then still they aren't reliable as they occasionally start vibrating again. Whenever the code is edited, even if it is simply just saved it seems to be corrupted to the Ramps board and the steppers just vibrate and whine. I tried using a different power supply to use the one from my working 3D printer with its steppers and the same issues happen, I don't want to test them for too long as when that happens the board starts smoking.
Does this sound like an issue with the board or is it supposed to be harder than plugging in step sticks the right way round plugging it into a 12v power supply and compiling some arduino code onto it.
Thanks a lot
Re: Ramps 1.4 issue
August 25, 2018 05:10PM
I am amateur in electronics but it looks like bad wiring. Board should not smoke at all. Download somewhere proper wiring schema and check it.
And also if you wired your motors by yourself, check cable wires if they are in proper order. About LCD you have to set the type you have ON in marlin firmware.
But I think these things you probably know...
August 26, 2018 02:50AM
What Arnold said, or a severe shortcut on the Ramps/Atmega board.
Did you check the solder job on both boards?
August 27, 2018 12:09AM
ISSUE: Stepper motors are not working when connected with RAMPS 1.4.

OBSERVATION: The LED lights(LED 2,3,4) in the RAMPS 1.4 is not powering up.

PRATICES: I use Arduino mega 2560 and installed marlin firmware in it. And I bought a RAMPS 1.4 in a local electronic dealer. I placed the RAMPS over Arduino mega 2560. For testing I just connected 2 NEMA 17 stepper motors with RAMPS. When USB port connection is given from laptop to arudino board, a LED light is ON in Arduino board(L) and in RAMPS(LED 1). I use SMPS 12V 20A as a PSU for RAMPS. But in RAMPS the LED 2,3,4 is not switched ON. I checked the input voltage to the RAMPS using micrometer and it shows 11.75V. But there is no output from the RAMPS.

Also I installed and tried Repetier firmware and grbl but it doesn't work. And I use windows 10 pro 64 bit OS.

When I flashed Arduino with grbl, in this case all the LED lights in arduino and RAMPS 1.4 is switched ON. I use Candle GRBL software to test the stepper motors.

And I replaced and tested with another RAMPS which is bought from Amazon but the problem remains unchanged.

kindly give some suggestions at the earliest.

Thanks and regards
Baalaji V

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 12:32AM by Baalaji V.
August 27, 2018 02:27AM
With 12v plugged in and on is there 12v at the always on 12v connector?

Extruder fan in this image

If not the is the polyfuse hot? if so something is drawing to much current or polyfuse is dead. (yellow square things near the power plugs)

what about a picture so we can check things?
August 27, 2018 03:11AM
I have attached an image of the connection.

I get 3.35V across Extruder fan pins.

The Polyfuse is not hot.

thanks
Baalaji V
August 27, 2018 03:46AM
Te ramps has two power inputs, The 5amps circuit and the 11amps circuit, both need 12v.

You seem to only have power applied to the 11amp circuit which only powers the heated bed

You need to apply 12v power to the 5amp circuit to power the stepper drivers.

The way you have it wired the logic is powered from the usb cable and not from the ramps, thus the LED's are still on.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 03:53AM by Dust.
August 27, 2018 05:08AM
I have attached the circuit connection images as per the picture in reply.

thanks and regards
Baalaji V
August 28, 2018 02:54AM
This may be a replay but didnt say anything

You now have both 12v supplies, this is a sart

does the always on extruder fans pins pictured above now show 12v?
August 28, 2018 04:15AM
Dust
This may be a replay but didnt say anything

You now have both 12v supplies, this is a sart

does the always on extruder fans pins pictured above now show 12v?

August 28, 2018 01:48PM
You said that you uploaded a new Marlin configuration to the board... Do you have the LCD defined and enabled in your configuration.h file?

Edit: Nevermind. Different problem than OP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2018 01:50PM by SupraGuy.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login