Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

retraction - clean parts!?

retraction - clean parts!?
February 16, 2013 06:33AM
My printed parts are really good, the perimeters stick together; I nearly do not get any bending of my parts BUT:

I always get those filament lines when the machine is traveling from part to part - those lines can be cleaned easily on the outside but if you're printing a thread as I did it's not useable.

Can anyone please assist in solving this? confused smiley

Reprap Prusa
ABS 243°C, white
glassbed, sugar-layer, 100°C
perimeter speed 50
travel speed 50 (usually I travel with 200mm/s but as I printed in the night I do not want my neighbors to stay awake...)
retraction: 1mm (see screenshot)
retraction speed 90 (see screenshot)
Attachments:
open | download - 2013-02-16 11.55.26_.jpg (184.1 KB)
open | download - Bildschirmfoto 2013-02-16 um 12.27.38.png (112.1 KB)
Re: retraction - clean parts!?
February 16, 2013 08:55AM
WOW!

I can say, I've not seen stringing like that.

I can only offer the usual advice, try lower ABS temperature. I run at 200C - 220C. I find that a higher temp makes my ABS leak more (and cause strings)

With a lower temperature, you might find you need to re-calibrate your other speeds. (slow down your infill, and perimeter speeds)

In another thread I seem to recall someone saying that a slower retraction seemed to help.

Good luck - let us know how you fix it.

Regards
February 16, 2013 11:07AM
Try slowing down the retraction. Not sure what your setup is mechanically, but 90 seems way excessive. Try 10 and see if the stringing goes away, if it does bump it up to 20 and see what happens. My guess is that at 90 mm/s your filament is actually slipping on retract.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2013 11:08AM by Atac572.
February 16, 2013 11:55AM
Might also try lowering nozzle temp some.
February 16, 2013 12:06PM
Thanks - also thought about that.

But when I have to print parts with a high volume I have to print with at least 50mm/s (perimeter and infill) - if I also let slic3r fill every second layer my extruder is not able to melt my 3mm ABS properly to press all melted ABS out of my 0.42mm nozzle.

...so I tend not to reduce the temperature of my extruder
February 16, 2013 02:28PM
Read this thread... I had a very similar problem and following the advice in that thread solved the stringing and blobbing problem completely.
February 17, 2013 06:39AM
Printed the parts with a much higher retraction length and: SOLVED! smiling bouncing smiley

Now I have only small blobs left which do not cause any problem - will slightly tune the values (retraction speed to 10mm/s, try to reduce length) and see what happens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 10:04AM by Irgendwer_Aus_Irgendwo.
Attachments:
open | download - Bildschirmfoto 2013-02-17 um 12.34.11.png (112.7 KB)
February 20, 2013 03:16PM
So my prints were fine for a while BUT:

I changed the settings for retraction now several times -
reduced and increased retraction (0,5-3mm), speed (3-30mm/s) and pressure of the hinge (with the ball bearing) but every few hours of printing the extruder is not able to force the filament through the nozzle and rubs a groove so that the printer is running without extruding material angry smiley

The temperature sensor gives correct values, I cleaned (Acetone!) the nozzle, checked the extruder + cleaned everything, tried different temperatures (ABS 220-250°C) but after several hours the extruder stopps pushing material out of the nozzle hot smiley

Please see the picture of the hobbit screw attached - seems to be perfect!?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 03:21PM by Irgendwer_Aus_Irgendwo.
Attachments:
open | download - 2013-02-20 21.11.08_.jpg (206.8 KB)
February 22, 2013 07:28AM
When it fails, is the hobbed bolt very warm to the touch?

If that bolt gets warm, it will simply chew through your plastic, as the plastic will be softened. I've seen that happen before with various sorts of extruders (particularly those with metal gearboxes), but not recently with a wades extruder.

With a wades, this is usually caused by too much heat rising from the hot end into the extruder.

Note: This applies only if that bolt is hot. If it's not then I don't know what your issue is.
February 26, 2013 09:39AM
Irgendwer_Aus_Irgendwo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So my prints were fine for a while BUT:
>
> I changed the settings for retraction now several
> times -
> reduced and increased retraction (0,5-3mm), speed
> (3-30mm/s) and pressure of the hinge (with the
> ball bearing) but every few hours of printing the
> extruder is not able to force the filament through
> the nozzle and rubs a groove so that the printer
> is running without extruding material angry smiley
>
> The temperature sensor gives correct values, I
> cleaned (Acetone!) the nozzle, checked the
> extruder + cleaned everything, tried different
> temperatures (ABS 220-250°C) but after several
> hours the extruder stopps pushing material out of
> the nozzle hot smiley
>
> Please see the picture of the hobbit screw
> attached - seems to be perfect!?

So you solved the problem?
I have the same problem with pushing material. I stop printing, do the reverse of the filament. At the end of filament i see thickening as shown at the photo. I think that it cause.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_5117.JPG (22.3 KB)
February 26, 2013 11:18AM
> So you solved the problem?

Solved the issue by using a better hobbit bolt (looked not much different but my printer works well now).
Additional to that I increased the pressure of the ball bearing a lot - now my springs on the screws are nearly blocked.

The thicker part can be normal as the filament enters your extruder -> the barrel with the PTFE hose and finally your nozzle where it is heatened up - maybe your inner diameter of your nozzle is slightly larger than the diameter of the hose - so don't worry about that.
February 27, 2013 01:14AM
Many thanx for answer. Now my printer working properly >grinning smiley<
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login