Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A config file that gives good results in PLA

Posted by BobHewson 
A config file that gives good results in PLA
February 18, 2013 11:41AM
I have a Prusa/Mendel printer. I use Ramps 1.4. I print with PLA 1.75mm, I slice with Slic3r, I do not have a fan (yet).

I'm a newbie, and have been printing for a few weeks. I see steady improvements but still have a way to go.

Will someone with a similar setup post a text file of their config.h file so I can see what is different from mine and reason out the "whys"?

Alternatively, I can post mine and ask for suggestions.

I also do not have a fan installed, but have a 50mm one ready to use, just need to print some brackets and know where to aim it. Comments on the forums indicate a fan is really needed for PLA. What is it we are trying to cool and why? Is it also needed for ABS?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob
Re: A config file that gives good results in PLA
February 19, 2013 02:41AM
I have been printing with PLA for 2 and a half years now and have never needed a fan.
If you are printing small objects then print 2, 3 or 4 of them.
And for large objects you need a heated bed even when printing with PLA!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 19, 2013 07:11AM
In my case, the fan has helped a lot in really small parts and in bridges as well. However, I believe you can get away with it if you print slower when needed. This is supported by Slic3r in the cooling options.
February 19, 2013 07:16AM
YES, for bridging a fan can be very helpful...

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 24, 2013 06:59PM
Thanks for the fan comments, now if someone would post a "configuration.h" file that gives good results with 1.75 mm PLA, a 0.35mm nozzle, and heated bed I could make some progress on print quality.

Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login