Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Troubling with config in Pronterface and i3

Posted by pouakai 
Troubling with config in Pronterface and i3
May 09, 2013 04:27AM
Hi, my daughter and I have just finished constructing our first printer. It's a maker farm 6" i3 and runs RAMPS(Marlin), pronterface and Slic3r.

I am having some trouble with the config of Slic3r, much of the existing documentation suggests setting up pronterface with "slic3r --load config", but I understand that from 0.9 Slic3r will use an internal wxStore to store the config. I have removed the --load config and setting slicer options from the proterface GUI invocation seems to remember previously set values just fine however it doesn't use them for slicing !

Whatever I do it wants to use 0.4mm (which is what ? the right height for 0.5mm extruder ?) and 200deg.

What gives ?

Also when I print the 10x10x10 test piece slic3r output says it's 28x28x14 but the actual printed part comes out at 15.3x15.3xRubbish.

I got some work to do !!

Any guidance much appreciated!

P
Re: Troubling with config in Pronterface and i3
May 09, 2013 05:26AM
I use Slic3r completely independent of Pronterface. In other words, I have a seperate icon for Slic3r on the desktop which I fire up whenever I need to slice an STL file. I had the same problem as you in the beginning - the configs don't behave as you would expect although I discovered why eventually. Now, I just start slic3r, make my settings, then save the config(s) in a handy directory where its easy to access. If i mistakenly use pronterface to load an STL (the way you are doing it) it just comes up with an error to remind me I dont use it that way. Obviously, calling Slic3r from within Pronterface is the way its meant to work but I would rather do things my way. I can slice umpteen files without ever going to Pronterface until I need it and when I do, I load a GCode file directly into it.
If you want to learn the configuration options in Slic3r - and you should then check out some of the links...

[richrap.blogspot.co.nz] ---3 parts

[github.com]

[blog.makezine.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2013 05:32AM by waitaki.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login