Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Retraction on layer change

Posted by GoingForGold 
Retraction on layer change
May 29, 2013 05:57AM
Hi!

Since I can see that the point where the printer changes the layer is slightly thicker and not very nice, I'd like to use retraction on layer change. But when I do, the beginning of the new layer gets no filament. It does retract, but it does not "put it back" after the change, it just continues extruding after the retraction. How can I fix that? Do I have to reckon that this also happens during a "normal" retraction while on the same layer? Thanks!
Re: Retraction on layer change
May 29, 2013 10:44AM
Is there an option to set the amount of retract? I turned this option off (because I was getting no filament on layer change after I started printing with my 0.4mm nozzle) and worked great on my prints.
May 29, 2013 10:46AM
actually you just set amount of retraction (1mm) and then you can tick the option "retraction on layer change". But, as I said, only retraction doesn't help anything, it has to go back..
May 29, 2013 07:49PM
I found that in an object having two pillars, slic3r would, every 5-10 layers, do a double run at the same elevation (layer),
this being an artifact during the dipsy-doodling between pillars which seems like an odd action to introduce. This, by the way, leaves a lot of threads between pillars.

What I'd like to see, by the way, is maybe 10 layers in each pillar before moving to the next. I realize this brings all sorts of external clearance issues into play but would certainly reduce pre-and post dribbles when moving between them.
/
June 05, 2013 03:54AM
This seems like explaining another problem, while printing cylinders, I have a very clean beginning, but later, it develops into a huge mess. Maybe I should try skeinforce..
June 05, 2013 06:09AM
You could be slightly off in your extruder calibration and laying down too much plastic. Overtime on some objects or solid you will get problems
June 05, 2013 09:38AM
Thats what I thought too, but, 1. it only happens with round shapes and 2. there are lets say 10 PERFECT layers, and the 11th is not slightly odd, but complete rubbish. At the moment I'm trying to get good results with KISSLICER.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login