Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing Hollow Cone

Posted by Oleg 
Printing Hollow Cone
October 17, 2013 09:05PM
Hi guys:
I'm working on design were part has a diffuser shape. I oppened it in the MeshLab - looks good. But...when I bring it into Slice3r it is immediately complains about some (not esisting) hole too close to the edge. It is still runs and generates G-Code but again complains about surfaces intersections. I have runned on diferent machines with the same result. When I imported G-Code into Repetier-Host I can see some features get lost.
Please take a look on the model attached - may be you will have suggestions. Slice3r configuration file is also attached but I tried different setting - no luck.

I will be gratefull for help.
Best
Attachments:
open | download - 0.123047 Layer03First 1ExtrMult075 Infill 235Extr105BedLowSpeed2.ini (2.8 KB)
open | download - 180_HollowCone_45deg.STL (19.4 KB)
Re: Printing Hollow Cone
October 17, 2013 10:01PM
Ran it through Netfabb Basic and it fixed it, my slic3r does not complain about it now. You can download Netfabb Basic for free and it fixes most problems like this.
Attachments:
open | download - 180_HollowCone_45deg (repaired).stl (77.5 KB)
October 18, 2013 01:14AM
Netfabb basic is a good tool to have on hand. In addition to this, though, I keep skeinforge handy. Sometimes it can successfully slice a model that slic3r can't (and vice versa)
October 18, 2013 08:08AM
Thank you guys. I will try it.
Best,
Oleg
October 19, 2013 12:04PM
Dear friends:
It works - thank you. But this part was just for test purposes - I have more complex part to be printed. Meanwhile I stuck with another part which refuses to pass Slice3r. As your advised, I tried repair it by Netfabb - still doesn't works. This part was designed in SolidWorks as assembly, then saved as part and further converted into STL. Would you be so kind to take a look at it. May be you will be able to give me some directions to resolution.

Thank you very much. Oleg
Attachments:
open | download - 01-002-100.STL (519.6 KB)
October 19, 2013 04:42PM
You have a lot of problems with that model. Internal polygons, single edges that pass through other polygons and so on. My software detected some 5k points that did not belong and so on. Sorry but I don't have the time to rebuild it.

Look at the attached images to see some of the main issues.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen shot 2013-10-19 at 1.30.59 PM.jpg (123.5 KB)
open | download - Screen shot 2013-10-19 at 1.34.31 PM.jpg (120.9 KB)
October 19, 2013 07:25PM
Try Netfabb cloud. That fixes more than the downloadable version.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 20, 2013 09:58AM
Thank you guys.
The problem with this model is that it is made from assembly - there are four parts in it. Than I saved it as part (SolidWorks) and further converted in to STL.
Probably it is just wrong approach, Maybe it will work if to save it in iges format and than open again in SW. I will try it and will try Netfabb clowd.

Thank you again.
Best,
Oleg
October 20, 2013 11:08AM
I just tried Netfabb cloud - it is great! And...it removed my parts from assembly...good suggestion how to design complex parts.
Thank you guys.

Best,
Oleg
October 20, 2013 04:56PM
FWIW: I've found many commercial CAD programs have issues generating clean .STL files.

As an interesting work-around, I have found that they can generate decent .STEP files. I load these into something like FreeCAD and then save them to .STL - they then seem to work fine.
October 20, 2013 09:53PM
Cefiar hi:
This is exactly what I did:
1. I saved my model in ibis format and than open it in SolidWorks. It showed a whole bunch of errors which I tried to repair it. It was not repairable - probably that is why Netfabb was failing as well. The obvious conclusion was that using assemblies to generate model is not so good idea.

2. I rebuild my model as a single part and it works. First I created iges file and re-opened it in SW - no errors were detected. Than I created an assembly using this iges file and saved it as STL. Than I set it to Netfabb cloud (it is absolutely great service) and open fifed file in Repetier-Host. After few plain manipulation I got workable g-code file and printing it at the moment.

I'm very great full for your advises. It was extremely frustrating to be stuck and do not understand why and how to overcome it.
Thank you again for your help.
Best wishes,
Oleg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login