Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feature Request: Internal support

Posted by jnss 
Feature Request: Internal support
November 26, 2013 12:37PM
I am working on a hand model which should be printed shell only (as much as possible). It obviously needs support out and inside as well.
I installed the newest Slic3r 1.0.0 RC1, and thanks for the improvements external supports are working fine.
However when I check the "Only infill where needed" option the whole internal space gets filled instead of the vertical or 45degrees plus perimeters only.
In this particular case the model needs to be hollow as match as possible and in general it would save 80% filament as well.

I would accept this function to work just as the normal "outer" support. In some cases one needs removable internal support instead of infill.
Would it be possible to add this function with the same or similar parameters like the "outer" support?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2013 05:11AM by jnss.
Re: Internal support
November 27, 2013 12:55AM
You might have to just make internal support yourself (draw it). Slic3r probably feels that shape needs filling just as it is. Or, use infill with just a very low amount like .05, just keep trying numbers until it looks like it's supported just enough.
Re: Internal support
November 27, 2013 05:02AM
Yes,I thought about to design the internal structure.
However, it would be a nice feature to have built in to Slic3r.
It should not be hard to implement it since the same feature exist outside the object. (Altho I don't know much about coding)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login