Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis issue

Posted by Joe1 
Z axis issue
December 30, 2013 04:37PM
Hello,

I usually esport GCODE with CURA and i've tried Slic3r for the first time today. Unfortunately i've come immediately to a damage :/

After get the GCODE and opened it with PRINTRUN, the extruder started working the first layer by litterally ENGRAVING the aluminium board. It's like the Z offset was lower than usual.
Beside the damage to the workbench, the extruder is now CLOSED: no filament comes out from it, and there's no way to clean form outside.
Any advice?
Does anyone guess WHY all this happened?
Attachments:
open | download - DSC00579.JPG (138.7 KB)
Re: Z axis issue
December 31, 2013 09:44PM
Cura was designed for Ultimaker machine and the Z axis is reversed I believe. I normally use slic3r but when I tried Cura and hit print my Z axis tried to go to the top of the machine to find zero.

I don't know if there is a way to reverse this in Slic3r but I am sure someone else will chime in here.

As for the nozzle you can either buy another tip if yours is changeable or buy a micro drill bit off ebay in the size of yours and re drill it. Most people use a glass plate over the aluminum both to provide a very flat smooth surface but also because it's sacrificial if something goes wrong and can be cheaply replaced. In your case Borosilicate glass would not have sustained any damage (it's very strong).
December 31, 2013 10:17PM
tmorris9
Cura was designed for Ultimaker machine and the Z axis is reversed I believe.

I doesn't work that way. When the bed is up against the nozzle on a machine like an Ultimaker it is at 0 just like when a Mendel variant has its nozzle near its bed. It then builds upwards just like any other machine where the nozzle gets further away from the bed as the Z increases. The fact that the bed moves down instead of the nozzle moving up makes no difference they still move away from each other.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 01, 2014 04:59PM
Sublime, I agree... and that's why i'm so confused about it. The z-axis was correctly set with CURA. I've never heard you need to operate a new Z-offset each time you swicth between CURA and SLIC3R.
January 01, 2014 07:43PM
Maybe the offset works in the opposite way. Check in the gcode file for the first layer height (Z something) and see if it is making it go the opposite way, as in negative when you wanted positive.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login