Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cant save slicer settings

Posted by sagi_bb 
cant save slicer settings
December 29, 2013 12:55PM
hi,
i am a first user to slicer and the 3d printing world .
just got my new ROBO 3D printer and was starting to set it using the "Repetier" softwear .
following this manual :

[www.youtube.com]

when i get to the part regarding the slicer settings i encounter 2 problems :
1) the settings screen did not look like in the video (the save and left side tabs are missing)
my settings screen -

video settings screen -

2) in the laptop after trying again and again to uninstall and reinstall old and again new version of Repetier some how i was able to get the video settings screen,
then i changed all settings same as in the video and when i tryied to save it with this button:

after i press OK all settings where zero back to original settings and nothing was saved .
i tried to open the slicer softwear manualy and by adminster mode and it didnt help .

any idea regarding the 2 problem? (i want to install the softwear on more laptops and want to know how to get the video settings screen)

thx in advance to all helpers !!!!!!!!!!!
smileys with beer
Re: cant save slicer settings
December 29, 2013 11:04PM
When you have finished with the settings you desire, just click on "File", "Export config", and save it with a useful name. For example, save as Black PLA or Orange ABS or whatever - all your settings for that particular set-uo will be saved. The next time you start slic3r, just load the config -( "File", "Load config") you want. Over time you will save a number of configs for different colours, nozzle sizes, plastic type or even special jobs.

December 30, 2013 02:54AM
i will try to explain the problem .
i was able to get the "video setting screen " some how on one of my laptops .
and in this setting screen i finished with one of the tabs, lets say "printer settings" and then try to save it using the save button (as seen above). the moment i press it all settings in the "printer settings" tab return to original and nothing was saved .

i only able to get the "video setting screen " on one of my laptops i think it was by pressing File->Prefences->Mode (changed to expart).
the problem is that when i try it at first or on a different PC it says to reboot slic3r and when i do nothing is changed, it remaim in simple mode .
December 30, 2013 11:02AM
i will realy want to try on my first print .
your help will be much appreciated.
December 31, 2013 04:54AM
The screens look different because they are different versions of Slic3r.
As i said, save the configuration as described above without touching the "floppy" icon (and then load the config). I think you will need to do this first before the "floppy disk" icon can be used.

December 31, 2013 07:31AM
i tried it and when i try to load it i get this errors in this order:
1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

FYI
this is now in expert mode, and i cant change it back to simple when i try to change it to simple it ask me to restart slic3r, and when i do it stays in expart .

also i need to be able to upload this settings in repetier (see first pic mark as 2 ), and if the i cant save it with the floppy disk i cant load it in repetier .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 07:36AM by sagi_bb.
January 01, 2014 03:56AM
Hold on, I didn't realize you were invoking Slic3r from within Repetier. Do what many of us do and run Slic3r as a standalone program. Download and Save the the Slic3r program folder somewhere handy then drag the Slic3r.exe file to the desktop to create a shortcut. You can then run Slic3r first and create your G-code files any time you like - just load them when you run Repetier. Do the usual save of the config files I mentioned before.

January 08, 2014 11:53AM
i tried doing what you said .
and it still doesnt save .
i also tried to export the config and then loading config and got the error windowes as in 2 post above .

help.... is there any way to solve this ?
January 08, 2014 12:14PM
Slic3r does not like funny chars when environment is established. Your user name as a window user is not made with standard ASCII chars (E:/&%¤%¤& arab or whatever?).
Try to log on to windows with common ascii chars/names and install Slic3r and maybe your problems disappear.
January 16, 2014 11:28AM
i think you right.
i tried to open new user on my PC and evrething is working ..
the only problem now is that i cant open new user on my laptop but i guess this is a problem for microsoft and not here.
thx .

FYI
in israel we speak hebrew :-) not arab..
January 16, 2014 11:49AM
Good to hear. i do not understand your problem with new user, but I am sure you will manage, you need to be logged in as administrator.
You may speak hebrew, but your local chars looks funny...to me :-D, being a viking, we had something similar a couple of thousands years ago. (just kidding).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 11:51AM by justcurious.
January 18, 2014 05:29PM
haha
i cant find a sulotion for the user problem (stupid windows 8).
administer doesnt work .
maby i will install windows 7 again .
Anonymous User
January 19, 2014 07:26PM
i have same problems and no hebrew letters. Is it a new bug ?
Possible Workaround: cant save slicer settings
January 21, 2014 05:34AM
I think I can shed some light on this. I've suffered from the same thing where I change settings but they don't get saved. I normally work in windows but was forced to use Linux the other day to try a build on the stable branch. Under Linux, with some control boxes, Slic3r crashes if you select and delete the content, i.e. end up with an empty text box at some point. At the command line, one see words to the effect that the format of the entered data was incorrect. I found I could work around this by appending the value I wanted to the value already there in the text box and then use the cursor and backspace key to delete the previous value from the box. This ensures that the box is never empty and Slic3r does not crash. This got me thinking so I went back to my windows version and tried the same technique for changing values. The new values were now being saved!!! I think the text boxes in the GUI are being checked on every key press for validity. An empty text box is not valid and this exception is not being handled by the code. In Linux this causes a crash whilst in windows this causes the change to be ignored. I don't see this on all text boxes but I consistently see it the options for the number of solid layers at eh top an bottom of the print. If somebody else can verify this, I'll try and find the original issue raised in GitHub and add this info.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
January 22, 2014 04:48AM
i had to reinstall win 8 and open my user with eng char and now all is working well .smileys with beer
thx justcurious .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login