Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deleting models is not deleting RAM

Posted by birwin 
Deleting models is not deleting RAM
November 13, 2014 07:06AM
Hi,

I have noticed that whenever I delete a model from the window in slic3r, the RAM doesn't decrease. I can load in a Large file (I have been testing it with- [www.thingiverse.com]), And its using about 1.5GB of Memory. Then when I delete the file, this doesn't decrease.

Usually how I work is I will load the models in to slic3r, apply all of the settings and export the gcode file. When it's finished I will delete the model and load in a new one and do the same. Is there a way to tell it to delete the Memory of deleted models? Am I doing anything wrong in the way I switch to new files? I don't really want to have to reopen slic3r every time I work with a new model.

I am using slic3r 1.2.1.

Thanks
Re: Deleting models is not deleting RAM
November 13, 2014 09:09AM
birwin
Hi,

I have noticed that whenever I delete a model from the window in slic3r, the RAM doesn't decrease. I can load in a Large file (I have been testing it with- [www.thingiverse.com]), And its using about 1.5GB of Memory. Then when I delete the file, this doesn't decrease.

Usually how I work is I will load the models in to slic3r, apply all of the settings and export the gcode file. When it's finished I will delete the model and load in a new one and do the same. Is there a way to tell it to delete the Memory of deleted models? Am I doing anything wrong in the way I switch to new files? I don't really want to have to reopen slic3r every time I work with a new model.

I am using slic3r 1.2.1.

Thanks

Does the memory use increase with every new model you load, or is it re-using the previously allocated memory for the new models?

Dave
November 13, 2014 09:38AM
dmould

Does the memory use increase with every new model you load, or is it re-using the previously allocated memory for the new models?

Dave

It keeps adding up. I just tested it out and even if you start loading a bunch of small files it can have a huge amount of memory.

Is anyone else having the same problem?
November 13, 2014 09:47AM
I took a screenshot and as you can see there is almost 2GB of memory being used with nothing on slic3r. This was after about 3-4 models being loaded and then deleted.
Attachments:
open | download - Slic3r memory.PNG (114.7 KB)
November 13, 2014 02:21PM
Does it reach a point where it doesn't run anymore? You just may not have reached the point where it would do garbage collection.
I never notice this as an issue because I don't stay in the program. I very seldom get into the slic3r gui except to change settings. If I do slice something interactively, I get in, load the model(s) slice and then exit. Most of my slicing is done behind the scenes controlled by my host program; I never even see the slic3r screen
November 13, 2014 03:42PM
jbernardis
Does it reach a point where it doesn't run anymore? You just may not have reached the point where it would do garbage collection.
I never notice this as an issue because I don't stay in the program. I very seldom get into the slic3r gui except to change settings. If I do slice something interactively, I get in, load the model(s) slice and then exit. Most of my slicing is done behind the scenes controlled by my host program; I never even see the slic3r screen

It just slows down until it's basically unusable. I would have assumed that as soon as you hit delete it would remove all of the files that were associated with the model.
November 13, 2014 11:02PM
I'm not sure if or how perl implements garbage collection, but I would assume it would be before the program became unusable - long before. I'd go over to github and post an issue there.
November 17, 2014 09:40AM
Get more ram for the PC...
Its cheap and plentiful. 2gigs shouldn't be an issue on a modern PC.
November 18, 2014 08:54AM
Floyd
Get more ram for the PC...
Its cheap and plentiful. 2gigs shouldn't be an issue on a modern PC.

I'm not sure that is a satisfactory workaround for a "memory leak" bug :-)

If your car's fuel pipe had a leak, would you accept the solution, "Buy more fuel"?

Dave
November 20, 2014 11:33AM
Has someone been able to repoduce this (by just loading a large model in to slic3r and deleting it then check with windows Task manager for the RAM usage). It would be interesting to see any one else gets it as well.
November 22, 2014 09:51AM
dmould

I just loaded a 61meg STL of the Ford engine block on thingaverse into slic3r v1.2.0 and it only raised the ram level by half a gig. Once deleted the ram stayed at the current level until Slic3r was closed...
Unless you only have 1-2gigs of ram in your machine this is not really a big deal IMO. Just close slic3r and load again.
As a test I just loaded a "normal" size STL about 30 times before I used up half a gig of ram.

Who would load a file 30 times into a slicer software? Again yes its an issue with the software but IMO is not a huge deal compared to the other issues.
November 23, 2014 10:04AM
Floyd
dmould

I just loaded a 61meg STL of the Ford engine block on thingaverse into slic3r v1.2.0 and it only raised the ram level by half a gig. Once deleted the ram stayed at the current level until Slic3r was closed...
Unless you only have 1-2gigs of ram in your machine this is not really a big deal IMO. Just close slic3r and load again.
As a test I just loaded a "normal" size STL about 30 times before I used up half a gig of ram.

Who would load a file 30 times into a slicer software? Again yes its an issue with the software but IMO is not a huge deal compared to the other issues.

I agree that its not a real big deal. It just messes with my work flow a bit and it slows things down. It also seems like a problem that doesn't need to be there. It would be nice to remove it but it is something that I can live with.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login