Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Support control

Posted by AvMDesign 
Support control
June 04, 2015 01:04PM
I'm having some minor problems removing the support material for this model.

I need the support for the inner overhanging structure and the top, but not for the small helix shape (the 3 strokes) in the center that are attached to the overhanging structure. Since this is very small (the strokes are 1mm in height), making it really hard to remove properly.

I've been tweaking the settings (pattern, overhang, spacing) for the support, but no matter what I do it keeps generating support between the strokes.
Hopefully someone has some advice for me, if not possible to prevent support being generated there then perhaps on what pattern/settings to use for easy removal. The current one (rectilinear) breaks up so I'm removing very tiny pieces and not one big chunk.
Attachments:
open | download - Schermafdruk 2015-06-04 18.10.58.png (125.1 KB)
Re: Support control
June 04, 2015 01:21PM
Firstly, I just wonder why do you need a rectangular profile for the thread (helix).
Otherwise, assuming all the other overhangs are horizontal, you can try increasing (I think) the Overhang threshold near to the value for horizontal surfaces. It should be very close, so that the slope of the helix will not trigger the overhang.
June 04, 2015 04:51PM
Have you considered trying Cura? Different slicers handle different designs better.

Alternatively, try meshmixer and create your own supports?

Just a thought, sorry if it isn't helpful.
June 05, 2015 08:26AM
Simplify3D probably has the best support control. It allows you to preview its generated support and selectively add and remove support columns. The generated support also works well while being very easy to remove. Unfortunately it is not free software.

Dave
June 10, 2015 11:35AM
I tried Cura, but that just fills the whole object with support, that also would be really hard to remove if not impossible.
I'll have to take a look at meshmixer.

Thnx
June 10, 2015 11:48AM
It seems sloping the thread did the trick. I'll start printing one now to actually test it, but it looks good.
I just didn't think of that, real easy fix. Thanks for the tip 3DMaker4U, probably gonna be useful a lot more often smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login