Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r command line creates wrong home position/origin - prints off the side

Posted by swbluto 
Slic3r command line creates wrong home position/origin - prints off the side
November 02, 2015 12:17AM
I'm trying to create my gcode files using Slic3r via the command line, but I noticed that my printer would print off the sides. It appears, looking at the g-code, that slic3r is totally ignoring the bed center positions in my '.ini' file (But it's getting everything else in the .ini file right), and I tried using the " --print-center 115,75" command line option, but it produced the exact same wrong g-code. Is there anyway to tell slic3r's command line tool the print center? I get a strong feeling that it's hardcoded such that it never takes into account a custom bed position, which is bad for my printer because that means everything prints off the side, lol.

Solutions? (Yes, the .ini file does work in the GUI, but my program uses the command line so I'm trying to use the command line.)

Maybe I'll have to start looking into cura...

Damn, it doesn't seem like Cura has a very usable command line tool, lol. (Got to call a python interpreter? The fudge?)

Edit: I'm going to try slic3r-console.exe instead of slic3r.exe this time. Maybe it'll work this time? (Now 30 minutes later): Nope, doesn't work. Still the same wrong 'default' center position.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 12:53AM by swbluto.
Re: Slic3r command line creates wrong home position/origin - prints off the side
November 02, 2015 01:27AM
According to this thread at [github.com] , the solution is to downgrade to v1.1.7. Geez, I knew there had to be one time when the 'print-center' command line option worked otherwise, why would it be there in the first place?

Edit: Apparently v.1.1.7 doesn't work - still outputs the same erroneous X,Y positions that send my extruder off the bed. Furthermore, slic3r-console doesn't work at all suggesting I have no layers in my STL file (Seems to a universal problem according to google).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 02:33AM by swbluto.
Re: Slic3r command line creates wrong home position/origin - prints off the side
November 02, 2015 02:34AM
Can anyone recommend a slicer that /does/ work in the command line?

Okay, I'm trying out v1.0.1 now. If any version's command line would work, I'm hoping it'd be this one.

Nope, still doesn't work. Still sends the extruder off the bed. However, it's pretty neat how v1.0.1 walks through the steps the slic3r takes to create g-code.

I'm starting to think that the command line options only worked with the very first few versions, when it likely started out as a command line program. Who knew this was a futile task?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 03:38AM by swbluto.
November 02, 2015 08:57AM
If the mountain won't come to Muhammad ...

Perhaps you could correct the issue by changing the position that the printer sees the bed? e.g. you could put in the start code "G1 X115 Y75" to centre the print head followed by "G92 X0 Y0" which will cause the printer to set the 0,0 coordinate at the centre of the bed (if that's what your G-code is outputting)

Dave
November 02, 2015 05:57PM
It just suddenly worked for some reason. Strange.
November 03, 2015 07:41PM
Well I have this exact same problem. ini file clearly states the bed size of my mini
bed_shape = 0x0,152x0,152x152,0x152
but the output gcode centers it for a 200x200 buildplate!

However --print-center 76,76 does fix it. Still why doesn't it calculate the center on its own.
What is the parameter to use in the ini to specify build plate center?

I'm running V 1.2.9 under Arch Linux.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login