Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tool dependent custom Gcode at tool change

Posted by Cloud10 
Tool dependent custom Gcode at tool change
November 23, 2015 03:53AM
Hi,
I'm trying to use Slic3r with dual extrusion. Analyzing the code produced by the gcode generator of my machine, I noticed that it uses a different gcode when changing tool: in particular it switches between G54 and G55, I think to offset the reference system.
Is there a way to issue this in "Tool change custom gcode"? Or maybe some other way?

Thank you
Re: Tool dependent custom Gcode at tool change
November 24, 2015 12:57AM
It looks like G54 and G55 are used on CNC machines for changing coordinate systems. Interesting that it would show up on a 3D printer.

There are several options.

You can code a post-processor to insert those commands after T0 and T1 commands.

You can set the Printer Settings, Extruder *, Extruder Offset settings. This won't actually change the coordinate system, but it will make Slic3r pass offset coordinates depending on the active extruder.

Depending on your firmware, you may be able to set the firmware to handle the offsets.

RepRapFirmware has the ability to programmatically run arbitrary gcode when specific tools are activated or freed.
Re: Tool dependent custom Gcode at tool change
November 24, 2015 02:15AM
Thank you for the answer. I was just writing a small parser to insert the requested code...
Using the offset in Slic3r is the other solution, but I have to precisely measure the distance between nozzles. I hope that the hardcoded offsets are more precise...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login