Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

config.ini not saved in slic3r 0.9.0

Posted by Carignan 
config.ini not saved in slic3r 0.9.0
August 09, 2012 09:52PM
No mater what i do , the config.ini is never saved

bur if i do "File / Export config.ini" the config.ini is written correcly the file. but..... i fell like i do not understand at all how the new config system works..

do i have to always explictely di "File-Export Config.ini"?
What is the purpose of the "save" button asid the config drop down box?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2012 10:04PM by Carignan.
Re: config.ini not saved in slic3r 0.9.0
August 09, 2012 10:04PM
It does save it but not the way it should in my opinion. You have to use export config.ini from the file menu to save the file. If you press the save buttons next to the file name in the GUI it saves the config to a hidden directory in three separate files. This is completely counter-intuitive and makes no sense why save would act as save-as but without a confirmation dialog and to save the opened config in the same location you opened it from you have to use export (normally saves job). I find this really annoying as I have portable machines and save the configs on the SD cards so no matter where I am I can slice new files by just downloading slic3r on the nearest computer and using the config on the SD card. Now that it saves three config files in a hidden directory it is no longer good for portability or sharing configs.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
August 09, 2012 10:41PM
i do agree, it seems a very complicated way to do something very simple.
August 10, 2012 12:11PM
Pre-0.9 behavior:

- click "Load" to load a config file
- click "Save" to save config to a file

0.9 behavior:

- click "Load" to load a config file
- click "Export" to save config to a file

The same workflow as before.

Plus, a new built-in presets management system was added, which could be handy for people managing multiple print styles, filaments and printers. However, if you want to use the previous system, just ignore the presets buttons and just Load/Export as you have always done since Slic3r's birth.
August 10, 2012 12:42PM
Yes, it's clear now that i know.

But for someone new to slic3r, this will get confusing real fast.

one of the Ergonomic UI rule state that it is wrong to use a same concept(Use case) for 2 differents behavior. in this occurrence the concept is "Save config"

i understand it this way

-Now we have two ways to save the config...
1 - one way is the config,ini (old fashion)
2 - the second way(the new one) is.... well..... some files, somewhere in some directory... use by.?!!... and pronterface will using it.... a certain way (maybe) .... i don't know yet.

This give me the impression that we are in a middle(unfinished) new way to save and use multiple configuration, but the old "Export config.ini" is creating confusion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login