Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bottom layers are warped

Posted by LarsIslander 
Bottom layers are warped
February 02, 2013 08:17PM
Hi Guys,

I've been trying out Slic3r this evening, and it's much faster and nicer to use than Skineforge.

I'm getting one problem though, which has been consistent - the bottom 5-10 layers are warped on all prints.

Picture

As you can see in the pic, the bottom layer is well printed. After this, the rest of the layers have warped in.

I've looked at the g-code in the pronterface viewer, and it seems like there are empty layers here and there for the first 10 layers or so. These empty layers sometimes contain support material, or sometimes are totally empty.

I'm using Slic3r version 0.9.8.

Has anyone had this issue before?

- Lars
Re: Bottom layers are warped
February 03, 2013 05:00AM
Slow down your bed temp.
February 03, 2013 06:05AM
Hi Radius,

Printing PLA, I have been running my bed at 90 because of the cold weather the past few months with great results. In Slic3r, I have kept the temperature settings the same, and monitoring the printer during prints I have confirmed that the bed temperature is staying at 90 for the entire print.

I think the root of this problem is because the Gcode coming out of Slic3r is leaving empty layers. I have printed a load of things last night while tweaking settings, and found the same results in every print.

As the empty layers sometimes only contain support material, I will try a few prints with this disabled this morning to see if this makes any difference.

Apart from this little hiccup, I'm really psyched about using slicer on my windows PC, as at the moment I'm running the printer from my Ubuntu net-book, which is not powerful enough to run skineforge (Slic3r on my windows PC can do the same file in 1 minute that skineforge does in a hour). I'm going to spend some time later in the week seeing if I can put together an Inventor plugin that automatically runs Slic3r on an exported STL. If I can get that working, I'll be flying.

- Lars
February 03, 2013 07:33AM
OK, quick update, disabling the support material seems to have done the trick.

The part in the photos only half-printed, as the spool got jammed, but it's enough to see the first layers are well attached and there are no skipped layers.

Image 1
Image 2
February 03, 2013 12:10PM
Lars, that doesn't look like an adhesion problem to me. It looks like the object in your first picture is not flat, and Slic3r detected the need to generate some support material below it.

I think the best way for getting some help in understanding what happened is to attach your STL file and your G-code to this thread so that we can inspect things more in depth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login