Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 0.9.10b Spurious G4 (dwell) codes generated (SOLVED)

Posted by threedyprinter 
Slic3r 0.9.10b Spurious G4 (dwell) codes generated (SOLVED)
July 30, 2013 07:07AM
Slic3r 0.9.10b
Using vase mode I sliced a cylinder. It printed OK but had acne; seemingly random little pimples here and there caused by ooze as the printer kept stopping very briefly during the print.

The gcode has lots of G4 P49 (dwell for 49 mS) lines. There are other G4 lines with different delays but 49mS is the most common.

I can't photograph the cylinder but the attached jpg shows the effect on a tapering section of another print exhibiting the same unwanted G4 lines. Tapering exacerbates the problem and has the effect of lining the acne pimples up into a diagonal scar line which is easily visible. Note that the taper in this print is wide at the bottom, narrowing in Z; opposite to a "normal" vase; the cylinder had no taper at all.

Stripping the G4 lines out results in a perfect print.

Ring any bells with anyone?
EDIT: Have just noticed that this happens in non-vase mode also, and have seen a totally "mad" line: G4 P0 (wait 0mS)!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 07:52AM by threedyprinter.
Attachments:
open | download - slic3rvase.jpg (90.4 KB)
Re: Slic3r 0.9.10b Spurious G4 (dwell) codes generated
July 31, 2013 06:22AM
While I can not confirm this in GCODE, I do know that the "enable cooling" will force the print to slow down if the layer area is under a certain size threshold.

Could this be causing your issue?

Regards
Re: Slic3r 0.9.10b Spurious G4 (dwell) codes generated (SOLVED)
July 31, 2013 07:24AM
Thank you for that thought; I've just tried various cooling options but all to no effect.

Looking in the slic3r code GCode.pm it's obvious the culprit is Printer->General->Advanced->Vibration Limit.

I had this set non-zero ages ago as some infills were a little violent. It's not required for vases (or most prints I do now) so setting it back to zero removes all the G4 codes completely and gives terrific, acne-free results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 07:52AM by threedyprinter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login