Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print Quality is lacking

Posted by ratherdashing 
Print Quality is lacking
October 13, 2014 02:47PM
I am using Slic3r for the first time on an XYZ Da Vinci 1.0. Looking at the picture, the box to the left is stock XYZware. The middle block is Slic3r gcode, loading into XYZware. A little better, but still some holes in the top layers. The right block is aftermarket filament with Slic3r, and while the surface finish is far better, there are still holes on the top. All blocks are .1 layer height, 10% fill, same temp of 230/90 and travel speeds of 60ms. What values should I be changing in slic3r to fix this problem? I am most familiar with makerware on my flashforge, and those at .2 layer height look a thousand times better than this print (and no holes).
Attachments:
open | download - 20141009_135728.jpg (31.1 KB)
Re: Print Quality is lacking
October 13, 2014 06:11PM
Check the number of top solid layers in Slic3r - it should be set to 3. If it is, check the extrusion width setting. This should (as a default) be set to 2.2 times the layer height.

As a general comment, it looks like you're over-extruding slightly.

Don't forget to calibrate your filament width and e-steps per mm.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
October 13, 2014 06:36PM
3dkarma
Check the number of top solid layers in Slic3r - it should be set to 3. If it is, check the extrusion width setting. This should (as a default) be set to 2.2 times the layer height.

As a general comment, it looks like you're over-extruding slightly.

Don't forget to calibrate your filament width and e-steps per mm.

Thank you for the response. Should extrusion width be set to auto? Or, should I caluculate out the mm to input (2.2x.1)? What is the e-steps per mm, and how do I calibrate that.
October 13, 2014 07:50PM
You can set the extrusion width to a percentage and Slic3r will multiply the percentage by the layer height to get the extrusion width. Hover your mouse over the extrusion width field and you should get a help message.

Take a look at the calibration guides on the reprap wiki. It should help you get a fair way improving your print quality.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login