Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why is this top layer not fully dense?

Posted by rsilvers 
Why is this top layer not fully dense?
April 19, 2013 09:05PM
Mac version:

Dual extruders - 0.35mm for perimeter and 0.60mm for infill. Three top layers.

Layers are 0.10mm.

The first image shows the third from the top later (the first solid layer. This looks correct).

The second image shows the very top layer, and looks like it is using the correct 0.35mm size, but using a spacing as if it were the 0.60mm nozzle 2.

When I tell it to use extruder 1 for perimeter and infill, then it looks the same way, except the honeycomb infill becomes a smaller grid, as is expected since it is using a 0.35mm nozzle now - but still has the problem with the top layer not being fully dense (as if it is skipping lines).

I would say it may just be a rendering problem, but why is the 3rd from the top layer dense?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 09:11PM by rsilvers.
Re: Why is this top layer not fully dense?
April 19, 2013 11:37PM
It does it on purpose to get a smoother finish?
April 20, 2013 04:18AM
If you check the gcode renderings always consider that the viewer is quite stupid and does not know your slicer settings. It computes the height and width according to the visualization settings in the host. As you see with the perimeter, the width is not drawn as wide as it should be. There is a width to height ratio and for 0.1 it has to be much higher then for typical 0.2-0.3 mm heights to get sane visualizations.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
April 20, 2013 08:27AM
Ok on the shell having thin lines.

What is confusing me is that it was fully dense two layers lower, so it is making wider passes - but it must be deliberate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login