Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ripples in layers

Posted by ScottS 
Ripples in layers
August 02, 2013 12:15PM
I have very periodic ripples in my layers , and also my motors are very noisy and crunchy- movements are not smooth at all - it speeds up and slows down in a pattern consistent with the ripples . I am using the latest host and latest Slic3r . Any ideas where I might look

It does this printing from the host and from the SD card and it does it with several different parts. No microstepping
Attachments:
open | download - 2013-08-01 22 03 40.jpg (88.2 KB)
Re: Ripples in layers
August 03, 2013 02:05PM
Why no microstepping? Sounds like your printer differs from the mainstream if you not need them? What steps per mm/acceleration/speeds are you using?

From your description it sounds like the path planner is not doing it's job. On the other hand long lines seem also affected and there the path planner plays no role and ther also should be no deceleration in between.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
August 07, 2013 01:24PM
i think it is pausing for a very short time, in the X-Y travel , while the extruder keeps running constantly, so there are the periodiuc excess of material, I dont know why it does this

This is a Delta printer with belt drive
August 09, 2013 07:08AM
I think you should enable microstepping, otherwise the path planning in firmware might not be able to work accurately enough.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 07:11AM by jkoljo.
August 12, 2013 09:29AM
To follow up - I was not aware that the microstepping jumpers need to be installed under EACH stepper driver- I had one open slot on my board ( it holds 5 steppers) and the circuit diagram happens to point to that one ,so I was only putting the jumpers in the unused slot ! I happened to notice that the circuit diagram showed the same 3 headers under each stepper but they were unlabeled.
So I pulled them off the board and -Voila! 3 sets of pins just waiting to be jumped.

Once I put the jumpers on all 3 axes and enabled the 1/32 microstepping all my issues went away. The jumpers were hidden under the steppers

Thank you for all the help. Now I lhave to learn Repetier and Slic3r in more detail to get the most of the programs. They are really awesome !

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 09:33AM by ScottS.
Attachments:
open | download - 1013261_10201885375519873_470585556_n.jpg (68.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login