Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homing confusion

Posted by jamesd256 
Homing confusion
November 22, 2013 06:48PM
First my printer. It is a Sumpod basic. I assume from what I've read that the typical home position of the extruder is bottom left front. I believe the home position suggested for the Sumpod is top left front, so the extruder homes away from the print bed.

The sumpod's extruder moves in the X axis, while the bed moves in X and Y. The endstops are at the back for Y, on the left for X and on the underside of the bed for Z

My end stops are connected to -X, +Y and +Z on the ramps board. This seems to be correct in relation to my config, and all stops behave as expected testing with m119.

#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_X true
#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Y false
#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z false
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_X false
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Y true
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z true

In Repetier Host printer settings -> printer shape I have:

Home X: min
Home Y: min
Home Z: max

When I press home on either the individual axis buttons or the home (home all) button, the axes do not move. Any offset against the axes is reset to zero, and it seems to be setting the home position, but if you move away from that, the home buttons just reset the home position.

What do I have to do to make the printer go to home?

Maybe I am not clear what the manual controls are supposed to do, because I only find documentation for the mac version for this part of the host software.
Re: Homing confusion
November 23, 2013 03:11AM
I think your endstops are wrong

If the bed moves back and front and y endstop is at the back, it is a min endstop, because it triggers when the bed is at the back and extruder at the front. Endstop position is aways relative to extruder. If extruder is at 0 when endstop is hit, it is a min endstop and you have to set homing direction -1.

Same goes for the z-endstop. Saying it is on the bed does not define it. It could be triggered when at the extruder (min) or at maximum distance (max).

Correct that and the the endstop positions in the host the same way. Your config gat y-min in host and ymax in firmware. So always one of both would block the move.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Re: Homing confusion
November 23, 2013 07:27PM
Reading back I gave you the wrong information about my printer. Doh!

Anyway, it's homing nicely now. All the options involved seem simple once you understand things smiling smiley You just need to take one axis at a time and think it through.

Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login