Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does Repetier Firmware need changes for 24V?

Posted by leadinglights 
Does Repetier Firmware need changes for 24V?
March 05, 2014 09:17AM
Recently I have been trying to get a rebuilt Prusa running at 24V. The setup is Ramps with Pololu drivers and Repetier firmware, similar to 12V systems that I have built, however, it suffers badly from missed steps.
I have done 5 or 6 builds/rebuilds of similar systems and am quite familar with the hardware and firmware problems which may cause missed steps, but none of the adjustments/settings seem to cure this. Unusually, more speed (in g code) seems to give less missed steps. There also seems to be no sounds from the motors during the fraction of a second where it misses steps.
I was wondering if the fast rise time of current to the motor coils with 24V needs any adjustment in the Repetier firmware. In particular I notice in Configuration.h the following, none of which I understand.
RAMP_ACCELERATION
STEPPER_HIGH_DELAY
STEP_DOUBLER_FREQUENCY
ALLOW_QUADSTEPPING
DOUBLE_STEP_DELAY
MAX_HALFSTEP_INTERVAL
I have tried much lower speeed, acceleration and jerk settings without solving this, but could any of the above come into play here?

Thanks,
Mike
Re: Does Repetier Firmware need changes for 24V?
March 05, 2014 11:31AM
No, there is no firmware parameter to adjust stepper voltage. But be aware that for heaters 12->24V = 4x Power so full power might be too much for them.

Normally you do not need to change any of the mentioned parameter for AVR systems.

STEPPER_HIGH_DELAY

is only needed if your drivers are to slow for the generated high signal. But that would mean you loose steps on a very frequent base. All drivers I have were fast enough, only some Toshiba drivers are known to be a bit slower.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Re: Does Repetier Firmware need changes for 24V?
March 05, 2014 02:32PM
Thanks Repetier, I was pretty sure that was the case but was just grasping at straws.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login