Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier Host takes forever to export g-code

Posted by gmh39 
Repetier Host takes forever to export g-code
April 26, 2014 11:26AM
So, Im not sure if this is a problem with my Host specifically, or just in general, but I have noticed for a while that it that's a VERY long time to export g-code in repetier host. Like on the order of 5-30, jut for the exporting... It seems the longer and bigger the print, the longer it takes to export.

Anyone else have this problem? Are there any solutions?

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
Re: Repetier Host takes forever to export g-code
April 26, 2014 12:06PM
It's not the host taking so long, it is I think slic3r you use that takes so long. The reason is one option "Avoid crossing perimieters". If it is enables, Slic3r take very much longer. Also SLic3r tells you it is exporting it does quite some other things at that stage.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
April 28, 2014 05:33PM
Hmmm. Ok. I'll double check if I have that setting checked or not.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
April 28, 2014 09:32PM
I had the same problem tonight on a large part. unchecked 'avoid crossing perimeters' and it spit out code quickly......as usual
April 29, 2014 11:12AM
What else does it do at that stage?
I had somewhat of the same concern. I've got an SSD and everything I use 3D printing wise is on it. Over 500GB rated read/write. There's absolutely no way it could take that long to transfer a little file.
April 29, 2014 01:19PM
One thing it does is changing travel moves and sorting moves so it does not cross perimeters. I'm not familiar with the code, but I think that part is not well optimized for speed. The latest release stated there had be some optimizations so it is at least faster.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
April 29, 2014 01:32PM
If they could optimize to actually make good use of a CPU it would be a lot faster. Now, if they could go so far as to optimize for CUDA cores... oohhhh, I'd never have to wait again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login