Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

improve print quality

Posted by stang0182 
improve print quality
April 19, 2014 12:09AM
was hoping i could get some pointers to improve print quality.using repetier host.i am getting little gaps on the side of anything i print and i am getting alot of stringing plastic as the hot end moves to print different areas.using 1.75 pla. thanx
Attachments:
open | download - 20140418_235123_resized_2.jpg (202.4 KB)
Re: improve print quality
April 19, 2014 12:05PM
strings are usually caused by too much heat and /or not enough retraction.
April 20, 2014 06:05PM
thanx..seems i have made that problem alot better.next question is that it seems i get alot better quality print the bigger the piece i print.smaller the part worse quality.what kind off settings would help this?
April 21, 2014 02:39AM
PLA needs cooling, especially if parts are small or have overhangs. So a fan will help. If not available force higher layer times in cooling settings for small layers.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
April 25, 2014 11:32AM
Will try a fan. I hav one cooling my j head.but not on the print. Where would I focus the fan on? Does it matter?
April 25, 2014 01:38PM
Either over the entire print if it's big enough, or if it's like most small ones, right where it's printing. My fan has a ring around the entire extruder it blows out.
April 25, 2014 01:38PM
Do you have retraction?
April 25, 2014 11:40PM
i have retraction but not all the time.seems it does most of the time but not when it has to do longer moves.i attached a pic you can see the filament hanging down.that little bit is catching the edge thats where i think the little balls are coming from.i looked threw slicer config setting.i dont see anything to adjust this?
Attachments:
open | download - 20140425_231604_resized.jpg (569.4 KB)
April 25, 2014 11:46PM
i think it might also be retracting but in the middle of the move filament seems to come out early.i see a setting to push extra lengh on restart but it is disabled.what else could i adjust?maybe flow rate?
April 26, 2014 02:33PM
What is your retraction length? I have mine at 3.2, but I'm thinking I need to up it, parts with a lot of back and forth still get some stringing.
Also, here

is another setting of retraction to keep in mind.
April 26, 2014 03:07PM
With a long Bowden tube on a Delta printer, I'm running 6mm retraction at 100 mm/second speed. If you're using a Bowden setup, ignore the retraction setting suggestions in your slicer du jour and go big.....
April 26, 2014 04:22PM
when i set retraction lengh in slicer to anything but 0 i get z lift on every move? and if i adjust lift z to anything above 0 i dont get any lift in z ? am i missing something seems these to setting are backwards lengh does z lift and lift z does lengh ???? confused..is this possible or our they working correctly
April 26, 2014 09:39PM
Can we get a screen shot of example settings and then what they do?
April 27, 2014 01:49PM
with these settings i get 2.2mm of z lift after a set of moves...thought this setting was for the retraction lengh??
Attachments:
open | download - 20140427_123729_resized.jpg (64.5 KB)
April 27, 2014 03:50PM
Yup! Definitely something screwed up somewhere under the hood. That's getting into firmware problems and out of my expertise..
April 27, 2014 04:28PM
I don't get any stringing even on the ABS I am using now. Set retraction to 3-4mm. this is the distance filament is being reversed in the extruder. Set Z lift for .1-.2mm and check "retract on layer change" and "wipe while retracting". If you are dragging the nozzle with .1mm Z for rapid moves other settings need tweaking

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2014 04:30PM by Bill Clark.
April 27, 2014 09:32PM
Thats the weird thing I can only get z lift by putting in a value for retract lengh. And I dont think by me putting in a value for z lift I getting any lengh retraczjtion. Something wrong in slicer maybe? What is the correct setting to set to get 3-4 mm of retraction called? Is there any way to get z to lift higher and stay at that high all the way across when it goes to make a change? Possibly?
April 27, 2014 10:43PM
did you look in the g-code to see what value is there when doing a non print move? maybe reflash the firmware and reinstall Slic3r if its not doing what its told. I had to do that for other reasons and needed to clear the registry too (for slic3r)
April 27, 2014 11:08PM
I will look into it that. Thanx. Im also goin check to make sure I have steps mm right for the extruder. If I was over extruding filament would that cause blods ?
April 28, 2014 10:26PM
did you calibrate your extruder? I don't have a lot of experience but my extrusion multiplier is around 1.2 - 1.4 for the 4 different nozzles I use. if yours ends up being far out of that range I might start looking at steps/mm
May 27, 2014 01:19PM
since my head cant understand this multiplier feature, i use simple logic. if SW extrude too little, i reduce filament diameter in setting, hence SW will be fooled into thinking it need to extrude more filament, vice versa. same with extruder hole diameter, if SW make solid fill but visible gaps in betwen, i'll reduce the hole diameter setting, hence SW should reduce the gap... your 1.75mm filament is not 1.75mm and your 0.4mm nozzle is not 0.4mm winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login