Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print job won't start

Posted by edgar.b 
Print job won't start
August 23, 2013 03:23PM
Hey there,

I finished building and calibrating my self-built RepRap Prusa, made some test prints and it was working like a charm. Then suddenly, when I was about to print my first "real" thing, it doesn't start the printing process. All the axes move to their endstops perfectly, but once they are finished doing so, they simply stay there.

The software (Repetier Host with Slic3r, with the repetier firmware) tells me, when the print job is going to be finished, no errors, no warnings, just the first part of the GCode. The temperatures are set and stable, I can move all motors and extrude with no problems with the software, it's just the print job. Important note: The dry run is working!

I tried different Baud rates (now 250000 which was working at the beginning), models and tested a lot of different configurations (trying not to mess things up too much though it might be already too late tongue sticking out smiley), either the axis aren't moving at all or just to the endstops.

Pronterface is working, but I'd like to use Repetier, it's simply perfect (besides my little problem). Software and Firmware are up-to-date.

I hope I got everything said, if you miss something, I try to answer asap (I can't stand watching my printer being there, quiet and motionless winking smiley)

Thank you for your help!
Re: Print job won't start
August 23, 2013 04:25PM
edgar.b
Software and Firmware are up-to-date

Which Version are you using? Repetier-Host ? Repetier-Firmware ?
Operating System: Windows 7, XP... or OS X? or ?
Controller: Arduino/RAMPS? or other?
Extruder? Thermistor type?

Did you check the EPROM Settings in Repetier-Host?

You can test the endstops using M119 (Get Endstop Status)

Upload your Configuration.h (Attach file, Choose, Attach)

3D Printing :: bit-by-bit - Thingiverse
August 23, 2013 05:42PM
Since dry run works, it is no host problem. It makes no difference for the host if it sends a job in dry run mode or normal mode.

So this leaves gcode and firmware. Sliced gcode normally contains a M109 and M190 command, which tells the firmware to wait until temperature is within one degree. Some users have problems reaching the temperature with their setting which causes the firmware to wait and wait and wait.

One solution is to use the development version which has some errors fixed in temperature handling and also offers a new controller method, dead time control 3, which is much better then plid. See explaination in the firmware docs reachable from the firmware overview page.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
August 25, 2013 05:16AM
Thank you a lot for your help!

The solution wasn't a different firmware (though I'm running the repetier dev version atm). Repetier Host says the printer is idle when the temperatures are +-5°C off the temperature I set, but the firmware waits until the temperatures are about +-2°C off, so the printer appears to be frozen.

For the record as a matter of form:

Mendel Prusa i2
Arduino Mega + RAMPS 1.4
Repetier 0.83 + Repetier Host 0.90C
Windows 8

Now working perfectly grinning smiley
August 25, 2013 05:18AM
Yes that is correct. There is no message from the firmware telling M109 is finished, so the host takes an assumption that should be fulfilled in near future.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
May 23, 2015 08:22PM
Hello edgar.b,

I realise this issue arose for you some time ago, but if you are still about I'm having a very similar problem, could you tell me how you fixed/bypass printer idle from temperature differential? You said something about the firmware waiting for +-2 degrees?

Incase you need to know, I'm on windows 8, using repetier host as well.

smileys with beer

Cheers,
Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 08:23PM by iorek_nhuvasarim.

Thank you all.

Peace out!
May 24, 2015 03:24AM
There are so many parameter influencing temperatures, so it would better you show a screenshot of host temperature graph (including output) while heating up along with your parameters. If you do not read target temp. you might need to increase PID drive max whcih is depending on target temperature often too low.

May 24, 2015 06:02AM
It's ok, thank you anyway but I tinkered last night and discovered that I had simply mistyped my bed size in one box, wasn't temperature after all grinning smiley

Thank you all.

Peace out!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login