Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier 1.5.3 on Linux 64 Bit...no Slic3r gui config?

Posted by icius 
Repetier 1.5.3 on Linux 64 Bit...no Slic3r gui config?
July 18, 2015 03:41PM
I recently made the switch from Windows on my printing laptop to Linux Mint 17 64 Bit. I am thoroughly confused by the Repetier Host I downloaded for this OS. The only slicing engine now seems to be CuraEngine? I swear I had Slic3r on the Windows version.

I decided to start from scratch again and renamed my RepetierHost directory as well as my ~/.local/share/RepetierHost directory. I also backed up and removed ~/.mono/registry/CurrentUser/software/repetier.

I freshly unpacked repetierHostLinux_1_5_3.tgz into my home directory.

Then I ran:

sudo configureFirst.sh

At the end I got this error:

IMPORTANT: You need a recent mono version since the host uses .NET 4.0
If you see the following error message, your mono is too old!
>>> System.Windows.Forms.SplitContainer doesn't implement interface System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize <<<

Which seems odd because my mono version is thus:

Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com

I then copied the .desktop file to my Desktop and ran it.

When I go to the slicer tab I see only CuraEngine as expected.

As per the instructions I downloaded Slic3r 1.2.9 64 bit and unpacked it in my RepetierHost installation directory

After restarting Repetier-Host I can now click on the Configuration button for Slic3r, but all that does is display the Slic3r help command options in the log window. I swear there was a gui for configuring Slic3r on the Windows version. Or am I crazy? Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I'm not opposed to managing Slic3r in configuration files. I just thought there was a gui.

I'm also having a problem with the Firmware EEPROM Settings screen. When I open it up I have no scrollbars. I have to manually modify the epr file and reload it to make changes to my EEPROM configuration. Maybe this is related to my Mono error?
Re: Repetier 1.5.3 on Linux 64 Bit...no Slic3r gui config?
July 19, 2015 03:02AM
The mono error you show is not the error. It is a message that IF you see this your mono is too old. You do not see it since mono started.

Slic3r is not bundled with host for linux. So you need as you did to add it manually. There are 2 executables for slic3r (at least on windows) slic3r-console and slic3r. The first executes in a console and the latter opens a window gui. You need that one.

eeprom settings is one of these mono incompatibilities I did not know about. Seems like mono creates the scrollbar only if the window is already visible. As a solution open eeprom settings and then in manual tab send M205 to refresh the list. Then also the scrollbar appears. Will see if I find a solution that also works on mono.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Re: Repetier 1.5.3 on Linux 64 Bit...no Slic3r gui config?
July 21, 2015 09:22PM
Thanks for the quick reply. The gui for Slic3r in Windows that I remember is actually the Slic3r gui smiling smiley. In order to get this working on my fresh Linux Mint 17 install I had to do the following additional steps:

sudo apt-get install -y git build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev libwx-perl libmodule-build-perl libnet-dbus-perl libexpat1-dev

(not sure if that one was entirely necessary)

sudo apt-get install freeglut3

(that one was definitely necessary)

After installing these additional packages I was able to run:

slic3r --gui

and clicking Configuration for Slic3r in the Repetier Host launched the gui as well.

Thanks for the M205 tip. That does make messing with the EEPROM settings much easier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login