Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r speed problem in G-code generation

Posted by vinny 
Slic3r speed problem in G-code generation
December 31, 2012 05:53PM
Hi.
First i want to say two things. First, I am loving the Repetier host software. It has several features that I wished pronterface had while I was using that and a lot of others I just liked from the start. Muchos Kudos. Second, I am surprised that I hadn't heard of it before this week. It is so slick and thorough that I would assume it would be the default, go-to host and word of it would permeate the DIY printer community. Curious.

Now on to my issue.

When I first loaded the host and started using it, it seemed to work as expected. Being new to this whole thing and apparently unable to maintain a systematic approach to tweaking my printer, I often adjust two or three settings in successive printing trials. Also being new to it all, it's difficult to remember exactly where things would go awry after a few different trials. But anyways, for some reason no matter what I set the speed settings for on Slic3r, in the G-code the feed rates are set on the first layer to F854.997 and successive layers all to F600.0. This is odd because at first I had configured the speed to one that was too fast and it would generate it as configured. After slowing it down (and likely changing other settings) it was slower than I wanted. So I sped the feeds back up in the configuration and but has since stayed at the speeds listed above, no matter what numbers I plug into the slic3r configuration. The other odd thing is that I have the first layer speed set to 60% or 40% or whatever and instead that layer comes out faster than successive layers rather than slower (as noted above).

So I wonder what I did wrong, if anything, and whether this is a bug or have I overridden the speed generated into the G-code by tweaking some other setting. Curious indeed.

I'll be glad to supply any files for analysis - just let me know what you want to see.

And another by the way, I've connected this to my printer via both Marlin and the Repetier firmware. No difference.

Thanks for any help.
Vinny.

By the way, I have deleted any other installations of Slic3r I had on the computer and even did a system restore as well as re-installed the repetier host. It's all working well except for this feed rate thing.
Re: Slic3r speed problem in G-code generation
December 31, 2012 06:31PM
Bah!!
I figured it out. Since cooling was enabled, it was setting the feed rate low as per its settings, just like I told it to.

D'oh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login