Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simulated pins over I2C?

Posted by LarsK 
Simulated pins over I2C?
September 21, 2015 01:45PM
Hello,

I am in the process of making my self a triple hotend setup. The hotend will be selected with a servo that then moves it like a pendulum (project thread: [forums.reprap.org] ).

I am confident in controlling this by some custom G-code.

But, instead of having all this wiring ( 3 x thermistor, 3x heater cartridge, 1x servo, 1 (or 2) x fan ) I am thinking about putting an Arduino nano board on the carriage and just have power and signal cables for I2C (or similar). This will also allow me to implement some more complicated positioning sensors to ensure that the nozzles gets to correct position.

MY question is:

How do I make Repetier do I/O by a non-physical port. Is there some way that I can go into pins.h and declare some simulated I/O that then gets handled by the I2C?
Re: Simulated pins over I2C?
September 22, 2015 11:45AM
No, there are no simulated pins.

If you are only talking about handling extruder position check extruder.cpp where we have the function responsible for extruder selection (selectExtruder I think it is named). Or write a new g-code that does it and lets it run before/after gcode selection, so you can write is as event in a separate file not messing up with existing code.

Temperature control is hardwired to be on same board. It was never meant to be run externally, but all is handled in extruder.h/cpp so modifying the routines to send data to external board instead is not that difficult. Just replace all routines doing this with corresponding send commands to send data to board or to pull data from the board like current temperature.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login