Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

exporting laser cut stls

Posted by lajos 
exporting laser cut stls
May 16, 2013 09:57PM
I need to change the laser cut frame a bit because I don't have access to 6mm stock. This is probably a stupid question, but how do I reexport the stl files from blender? I assume they came from this layer, but I can't figure out how to export the edges only.

Re: exporting laser cut stls
May 16, 2013 10:09PM
There is a small script in the folder for OpenScad called V3_svg.scad that will convert an STL into a DXF. But be warned OpenScad hates most STL imports and crashes. The STL files you have the pictures of are the actual ones the OpenScad likes but if you change them much they may cause OpenScad to crash. To use the script you must change the path and run compile and render and then export it as a DXF.

It would be easier to use a 2D program to change the drawings then to go the STL route. Inkscape can edit the DXF's and is opensource and cross platform. Draftsight which is free closed source and cross platform can also do it. I am sure there are more as well.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 17, 2013 10:44AM
Thanks for the info. You are right, it's easiest to do it in inkscape.

The step I couldn't figure out was actually how you exported the stls from blender. Although with inkscape I don't need new stls.
May 17, 2013 11:38AM
To export STL's from Blender you go into the preferences and go to "add-ons" and turn on the STL exporter if it is not already enabled.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 17, 2013 03:09PM
Oh, ok, I think I know what's going on now. You are exporting the panels as they are, and then using openscad to flatten them.
May 17, 2013 03:18PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login