Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different extruder

Posted by plexer 
Different extruder
May 10, 2013 01:20PM
Ok I know all I've done so far is print the corners and lasercut some mdf so haven't got too far yet but is there anything stopping me using say an airtrippers extruder rather than the stock one?

Thanks

Ben
Re: Different extruder
May 10, 2013 04:38PM
If you ask RichRap he would say you need a geared extruder as he finds direct drive does not work well even for a 1.75 bowden extruder.

If you ask me I will say even less of a direct extruder as they have very limited resolution. What I mean is with each step of the extruder the volume they extrude is really high compared to a geared extruder. The numbers say the 2.7:1 gearing of Tantillus with 1.75mm filament is just about perfect if you want to print low layers and with 3mm filament the gearing limits how low you can go to about 80micron before you start having to make compromises.

So the answer is I would not go with another extruder unless it is geared and possibly a higher ratio then 2.7:1. But as always you can use whatever you want even a direct drive like the Airtripper one.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login