Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternative electronics

Posted by plexer 
Alternative electronics
May 11, 2013 11:56AM
Would this be any good as an electronics pack to run a tantillus [reprapworld.com] ???

Ta.

Ben
Re: Alternative electronics
May 11, 2013 12:46PM
Any RepRap electronics should work just fine as long as it works with Marlin and will fit inside the machine (or outside if you do not mind). You could also go with the minitronics.

Also note that the Tantillus Marlin branch is old and does not have all the pin configs for all the new boards. It is not hard to add them yourself.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 11, 2013 02:15PM
I don't think the minitronics does an lcd though? seems to be a nice solution though.

Ben
May 11, 2013 05:34PM
May 11, 2013 06:47PM
I'm running my mendel with melzi electronics and a raspberry pi with octoprint so perhaps minitronics would be enough anyway.

Minitronics does have aux connector so i2c lcd is a possibility.

Ben
May 11, 2013 08:08PM
I'm making a Sanguinololu for my Tantillus. I've seen builds that use it, so hopefully it will work.

Electronics is highway robbery. And I'm not sure why. Even on ebay a ramps 1.4 kit is upwards of $150, which excluding the arduino doesn't cost more than $20 if manufactured in quantity.

I've built an extruder controller for my CNC to do 3d printing. With LCD it cost me about $10 in parts (attiny, mosfets, power regulator, connectors etc). A similar board would've cost me $50 plus shipping, and whoever makes that gets a better deal on components than me buying it one at a time from digikey.

I'm not a big fan of the raspberry pi because of all the hardware design issues, but at least they are selling it at a reasonable price.

I wish there was a nonprofit in the reprap world that would sell electronics, steppers and hotends close to manufacturing cost. It would be a great help for the cause.
May 11, 2013 09:22PM
Sanguinololu will work fine as long as you have the 1284 not the 644. The 644 does not have enough memory to run the LCD and the SD card. The laser cut case has mounting holes for the Sanguinololu as well as Ramps.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 11, 2013 09:34PM
Perfect, thanks. I did read somewhere that the 1284 is required for the LCD, so that's what I'm using.
May 12, 2013 04:38PM
I'm using Sanguinololu with 644p, but it fits only because I'm not using LCD. You'll need to be creative as well with the LCD too because Sanguinololu doesn't have enough I/O for SD, encoder, and a parallel interfaced LCD.

As a side note, I recommend cutting the trace joining the USB 5v from the FT232 to the rest of the board (leaving the FT232 only powered by the USB bus). Nothing good comes of leaving that attached.
May 13, 2013 08:34PM
Thanks for the note on the USB supply trace. Soon I should be done with printing the plastic parts, so next up will be the electronics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login