Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel90 Build Review & First Print

Posted by RyanMark 
Mendel90 Build Review & First Print
May 05, 2013 03:14PM
First off thank you NopHead for the very well put together kit and awesome support. It took around 20-24 hours from start to first print in about 2 weeks.

My comments on the Manual/Build are below

Build/Mannual
General Build tips - add "Keep the box for the heat shield as a note"
Tools Required - add "Needle nose pliers"
Consumables - add "Sticky Tape"
Below Tool Required - add a Optional equipment heading with the following things under it "Fan (with a recommended model #)" & "Foil Tape" & "4 Bull Clips" (to clamp the heat shield)
Section 7 - The 2 threaded rods were 300mm instead of 271mm in the manual
Section 7 - Item 5 - The No2 pan screws should be 13mm not 15mm
Section 11 - Add a tip to use the bull clips to attach the print out sheet to the cardboard when cutting it out
Section 11 - Potentially have the last page of the manual have the printed out heat shield template

What I screwed up
- I forgot to put heatshrink on a few wires, so I used electrical tape
- I soldered the y limit switch wires incorrectly twice
- I soldered one of the 4 way terminal blocks the wrong way (It took a while to desolder it)
- I burnt myself a few times on the soldering iron during the desoldering of the above
- I used every port put the one that would work to connect the computer to the printer

Also attached below in my first print and printer, I have since adjusted the ZHOMEPOS a bit lower as I believe it was too high for the first print.

Cheers,
Attachments:
open | download - FirstPrint1.JPG (256.2 KB)
open | download - FirstPrint2.JPG (281 KB)
open | download - FirstPrint3.JPG (263.5 KB)
open | download - Printer.JPG (379.3 KB)
Re: Mendel90 Build Review & First Print
May 06, 2013 04:44AM
Nice!
I expect my mendel90 in few days, so the adventure is still ahead of me smiling smiley
Re: Mendel90 Build Review & First Print
May 07, 2013 08:42AM
All looks good thumbs up

It's a great feeling when it works and prints the first android! A bit nervy though... I use mine virtually every day and it's still going well, a testament to a well designed and thought out build by Nophead.

I look forward to seeing more prints!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login