Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing in the corner...

Posted by zug 
zug
Printing in the corner...
April 28, 2013 04:42PM
Hello,
I have just built a new Mendel 90. All of my prints seem to be in the front left corner against the very edge of the glass and not in the middle as you would expect. I am sure it is simple but can anyone help me?
For example, I am currently downloading and STL from thingiverse, I open it in Printer Interface, I press SD-Upload then SD-Print.. Am I missing something out? On the preview it looks like it's in the middle...
Thanks
Re: Printing in the corner...
April 28, 2013 05:03PM
Either a) your slicing tool is wrong or b) your printer interface tool is wrong. Or both :-)

The slicer will centre the object at a certain place, depending on its configuration. The printer interface tool also needs to know the bed dimensions and max limits.

In Skeinforge, I believe it's the Multiply settings. In Pronterface, it's Settings | Options | build_dimensions. My magic string there is "200x200x180-100-100+0".

But you need to understand which is wrong before changing anything. Which means you need to understand what's _supposed_ to happen. And for that, you probably need nophead.

Gerv
zug
April 28, 2013 05:18PM
Thanks for helping
My current settings are : 200x200x100-100-100+0
I will try your settings (200x200x180-100-100+0) and see what happens
April 29, 2013 02:41AM
Changing the maximum height (Z) is not going to effect where the object is placed on the bed.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 29, 2013 05:35AM
If you slice within Pronterface it will use slic3r and I haven't configured that.

If you use the settings provided on the SD card for skeinforge and pronterface, slice the STL in skienforge and load the gcode into pronterface it will display in the right place and print in the right place.

If you want to use other slicers see "Using Other Software Tools" on page 76 of the manual. It explains how to get the print in the right place. Also be sure to select relative extrusion as using absolute extrusion with the firmware configured for relative can damage the hot end.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
zug
April 29, 2013 03:13PM
Thank you!
That seems to have moved the extruder to the middle now but I have another problem, it now moves so incredibly slowly. I cannot describe how slow the three axis now move and the extruder wheel does't seem to be moving at all.
Any idea what I have done to it?
April 29, 2013 08:04PM
Have you printed the sample android gcode supplied in the kit? If that prints at the correct speed then the problem is the speed set in the slicer. If it doesn't then it is a firmware problem.

April 29, 2013 09:03PM
nophead,

Is it possible to get a copy of your software and settings to get started as soon as my mendel90 build is finished?

Thanks!!
April 29, 2013 09:10PM
Did you order the kit from him? If so, he provides everything needed on a microSD card inside of an USB reader.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 12:17AM by Fl0yd.
zug
April 30, 2013 02:23AM
yes the sample provided on the sd card prints fine
April 30, 2013 04:31AM
The sample was made with the Skeinforge settings on the card so if you slice with those the part will print at the correct speed. You must have sliced it with something else if it goes slower.

zug
April 30, 2013 05:54AM
I copy the .skeinforge folder to the directory specified in the PDF, overwriting the existing files from Skeinforge. I then opened Skeinforge, selected PLA profile and then opened the STL file using the button in the bottom right. Is there anything I am missing?
April 30, 2013 07:00AM
Don't switch to PLA, leave it as ABS. Nopheads settings are only held in the ABS profile.

zug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I copy the .skeinforge folder to the directory
> specified in the PDF, overwriting the existing
> files from Skeinforge. I then opened Skeinforge,
> selected PLA profile and then opened the STL file
> using the button in the bottom right. Is there
> anything I am missing?
zug
April 30, 2013 07:10AM
But I want to print using the PLA in the kit..? I still use the ABS profile?
April 30, 2013 08:36AM
Yes, the settings required for the PLA sample that were provided are the same as the default ABS config. Also the profile for PLA isn't placed correctly in Nophead's folder structure and won't slice correctly unless you specify ABS.

Fl0yd
April 30, 2013 09:13AM
No I did not. I'm in the US and shipping plus possible customs charges made me choose not to.
Is it still possible to get a copy or are you on your own of you did not?

Thanks!
April 30, 2013 12:26PM
Attached are the things on the SD card that can't be downloaded elsewhere.

Settings.zip

The firmware is on my Github and the apps can can be downloaded from locations shown in the manual (which is also on Github).

April 30, 2013 12:59PM
Thank you!!
zug
April 30, 2013 03:51PM
i am now printing :-) thanks all who helped.
having the same problem sliced with skeinforge and moves fine till it prints and then it like in slow motion. copy the file over like it said in the PDF and useing ABS setting. help
stefan
I got it i found another post that fix it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login