Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nylon filament

Posted by threedyprinter 
Nylon filament
July 04, 2013 12:28PM
I broke my M90 x-carriage cooling fan bracket. One of the little lugs snapped off.
I printed a new one in PLA. (It functions much better than ABS as it's stiffer and holds the fan assy. pretty much parallel to the bed so there's a little more naked nozzle showing and less chance of catching.)

I printed the bracket again with some Taulman 618 nylon just for fun.

At a nozzle temperature of 238C the result was acceptable (after a bit of clean up to remove trails) and incredibly tough. There was a bit of snap,crackle and pop as it printed.

At 228C the surface finish was much better (much reduced s,n&p) but it was relatively easy to separate the vertical part of the bracket.

I tried 210C; the surface finish was really excellent but of course it delaminated instantly I took it off the bed.

I realise I ought to try drying out the filament (I used a new spool sealed in a bag with desiccant, but it might help I guess).

Has anyone printed parts (rather than RichRap's incredible vases etc.) with 618 and achieved toughness and a good surface finish?
Re: Nylon filament
July 04, 2013 01:04PM
Interesting and very encouraging. Did you print onto cold glass or some other base material? Were you using a standard Dibond kit machine with a 0.4mm nozzle?

Alan
July 04, 2013 07:24PM
Yes, it was a standard Dibond M90 from nophead with a 0.4mm nozzle.

The base was glass, smeared (when cold) with a thin layer of PrittStick*. (If the glass is hot/warm the glue doesn't go on evenly.) The printing was at a bed temperature of 90C throughout. This allowed good adhesion during the print and fairly easy removal when cold (water + scalpel).

*PrittStick : Maybe called something different outside the UK? Basically a water soluble glue stick. Someone has used UHU Stic with good results I read somewhere. I used a very old PrittStick with success. A PrittStick I bought yesterday didn't seem to work quite so well however. It said "new formula" on the tube so that might be a problem or it maybe that I didn't keep the bed temperature high enough as the print lifted at one corner half way through. I shall try it again tomorrow.
July 07, 2013 08:30AM
Almost there now. Drying the filament for 4 hrs at 80C made a huge (unbelievable) difference. It almost totally removed the snap, crackle and pop, and greatly reduced ooze.

At an extruder temperature of 240C and print speed of 30mm/s for perimeters and 60mm for infill, I can now get excellent finish at .3mm layer height. The M90 fan bracket I'm printing as a test piece is indestructible with bare hands.

Some notes:
1) It seems better to keep the printing speed up rather than down otherwise the extruder stops extruding adequately. It may be that I need a higher roller pressure (but I checked the extruder accuracy and it seems better than 1%).
2) There sometimes seems to be a bit of delay between the extruder motor starting and extrudate appearing. This makes layers start and end approx. .3mm late. Maybe roller pressure again.
July 07, 2013 03:56PM
How flexible is the bracket when made from Nylon? All the printed nylon objects I have seen seem very flexible.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 08, 2013 06:11AM
Yes, it is very flexible indeed. I can twist the bracket 45 degrees end to end easily so you wouldn't want to make a production bracket from it without additional bracing.

The attraction, for me, is it's toughness; the upright that attaches to the x-carriage is only 3mm thick yet it's utterly inseparable (by hand) from the fan mount. Also, the fragile end lugs just bend rather than snap when you abuse them.

Considering I didn't even print at the optimum bonding temperature for 618 I am rather impressed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login