Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

broken jhead

Posted by klayus 
broken jhead
July 02, 2013 04:42PM
i bought the mendel90 complete kit. didnt have any problems with it till today:
because i had problem with abs sticking to the heated bed i bought some blue masker tape and some white pe tape. the masker tape worked nice, i printed a 5 L x 30 l x 15 H mm box and it sticked very well.
i left the printer doing its job and at some point i heard some wierd noises. running there i saw that the head ripped the maskers tape off the heated bed. i turned it off, let it cool down for a while after this i found that the brass ending of the jhead got torn of the rest of the body and was sitting at a 90 degrees angle than it was suposed to. the tube is filled with abs and cant see if the thread in it is broken as well, but with that much abs there i cant do anything to repair it.

what is a good source of jheads for europe, i saw the link for the jhead sources but i want to be sure i'm buying the right one.
if i buy a new one should i make any changes regardin the temperature readings?
can i buy one directly from nophead???
HELP sad smiley
Re: broken jhead
July 02, 2013 05:27PM
Where are you based in the world? I have a spare one you can have.
July 02, 2013 05:29PM
You can dissolve the ABS out the head using acetone to check if the threads are damaged. At what temperature were printing?
July 03, 2013 01:55AM
I was printing at 235, I don't think the temperature was the problem. Something got stuck on the head.
i'm from Romania. What is the nozzle size?
Thank you in advance
best regards
July 03, 2013 04:03AM
I wasn't suggesting that temperature was the problem, but if it was sufficiently high then the PEEK have simply softened enough to allow the brass nozzle to pop off without damaging the threads. I'm not sure at 235 but it's still worth putting the whole thing in a jar with acetone and agitating it occasionally until all the ABS has dissolved - at the very least you will end up with a spare brass nozzle! smiling smiley
July 03, 2013 04:09AM
so is it ok to put the plastic part of the jhead in acetone? nothing bad will happen? i'm going to try to remove the brass head, and put the rest in acetone. it would be great if i could recover it, but i doubt it.
i've put some pics with what happened
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG0769.jpg (412.8 KB)
open | download - IMAG0770.jpg (493.4 KB)
July 03, 2013 05:21AM
Yup. PEEK is resistant to acetone. Don't worry, you're not the first to have done this... eye rolling smiley
July 03, 2013 07:00AM
Hi Klayus,
Unfortunately some J-Heads we received have a manufacturing fault which makes the thread too loose. PM me and we will send a replacement.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 03, 2013 07:01PM
Hello,

Here is a description of the PEEK failure issue: [jheadnozzle.blogspot.com]

If anyone experiences such a problem, and they were made by me, please contact me for a replacement.

Regards,

Brian
zug
July 13, 2013 01:06PM
Hi
Have the same thing, I have tried screwing it back on a few times but it just keeps coming off after a few min of printing. Is this an issue with the head or the holder?
July 13, 2013 03:55PM
Hi Mark,
It is the PEEK holder that has oversized threads. We will send a replacement hot end on Monday.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login