Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ribbon cable current rating

Posted by Zhangx 
Ribbon cable current rating
July 29, 2013 10:14AM
I'm about to purchase some ribbon cable from ebay for use on a mendel90 I'm currently building. The cable is a 40 way cable (as is it the cheapest option- which i will then split to the correct size), however, each strand is rated to 300V 1A, is this enough to be used on a mendel90 or should i think about purchasing one with a higher current rating.
Also, if anyone had any alternative places to purchase ribbon cable cheaply (in the UK) please could you tell me.
Thanks smiling smiley
Anonymous User
Re: Ribbon cable current rating
July 29, 2013 11:30AM
That sounds low to me. The pcb is 0.8 ohms so draws 15 amps at 12 volts.
July 29, 2013 12:06PM
Ralph Hilton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That sounds low to me. The pcb is 0.8 ohms so
> draws 15 amps at 12 volts.

I doubt that ZhangX will be using a single strand to draw current for the bed and without knowing how many strands are involved for the bed current in this set up, we cannot really comment.

The grey ribbon cable used by Nophead in the Dibond kits is bog-standard IDC ribbon cable - I cannot recall the current rating but the key point is how many of its conductors are set in parallel for the high current loads.

Alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 12:07PM by Alzibiff.
July 29, 2013 12:16PM
The dibond kit uses a 26 way ribbon cable. With two wires used for the bed thermistor that leaves 12 for the PCB 12V and GND. You could use a 40 way cable to get 19 wires for the PCB but you'd need wider clamps and new holes for them in the dibond sheets - unless you're not using the kit in which case you're free to drill holes wherever you like in whatever material you're using... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 12:17PM by QuackingPlums.
Anonymous User
July 29, 2013 12:27PM
Alzibiff Wrote:

> I doubt that ZhangX will be using a single strand
> to draw current for the bed and without knowing
> how many strands are involved for the bed current
> in this set up, we cannot really comment.

12 in the standard kit. so awg 26 should be fine.
July 29, 2013 12:43PM
Also the correct bed resistance for a Prusa MK2 bed is 1.2R, not 0.8R.

I buy ribbon cable from Rapid Electronics.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Anonymous User
July 29, 2013 01:08PM
[reprap.org]. The author said his was 0.8 ohm.
Mine measures 1.0 ohms at the electronics board end.
July 29, 2013 05:04PM
There are multiple authors of that page. The one that said 0.8 was evilB and he said it blew up his RAMPS board! Some sellers make the mistake of getting plated through holes and that causes all the tracks to be plated as well making the resistance too low.

Anonymous User
July 29, 2013 05:15PM
Whoops!. Anyway the ribbon cable you supplied doesn't even get warm so if that is awg 28 then I guess the OP won't have a problem using 12 + 12 for the heater.
July 30, 2013 05:01PM
QuackingPlums Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The dibond kit uses a 26 way ribbon cable. With
> two wires used for the bed thermistor that leaves
> 12 for the PCB 12V and GND. You could use a 40 way
> cable to get 19 wires for the PCB but you'd need
> wider clamps and new holes for them in the dibond
> sheets - unless you're not using the kit in which
> case you're free to drill holes wherever you like
> in whatever material you're using... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'm self sourcing a mendel90 to build with plywood (I can get hold of it with relative ease).
I would prefer not to use the whole 40 cable as I imagine that it may be a tad too wide to look at/ route carefully.

On the RAMPS 1.4 wiring schematic (the electronics i'm using) it says that the bed uses 11A of current, therefore would it be safe if i just used the standard 26 way setup with 12 to + and 12 to GND, as it should give me and overall 12A rating??
July 30, 2013 06:38PM
It doesn't matter what it says on the RAMPS. It is the bed resistance that determines the current. Standard beds take 10A and 12 wires are fine. If you have a bed with a lower resistance you might need more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login